none
Configure Win8.1 Target from VS2015 running on Win10? RRS feed

• Question

• I am Running VS2015Pro on both Win10 and Win8.1.

In both cases, I am unable to configure a Windows8.1 target PC for use in developing a kernel driver.

From Driver->Test->Configure Devices.., I attempt to add a new device - target machine is running Win8.1 x64. When "Provision device and choose debugger settings" is selected, I accept default the debugger settings.  

The "Configuration Progress" dialog shows:

"Failed operation: An error occurred while connecting from the remote machine"

"Error 10061 (ConnectionRefused)

"Error message: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

The firewall is disabled on the target machine.  With the target firewall enabled, the error changes to "Error 10060 (TimeOut)

I can successfully configure this target machine from VS2013 running on the same host PCs

Both WDK8.1 and WDK10 are installed on the host machines.

I can find no clue as to why this is happening.

Bill

• Edited by wrlearjr Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:38 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 8:07 PM

All replies

• I also encountered the same problem, how do you fix this problem?

Faneok

• Proposed as answer by Faneok Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:18 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Faneok Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:18 AM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:01 AM
  • Close the firewall

Faneok

Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:19 AM
  • I also encountered the same problem, how do you fix this problem?
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 11:50 PM
  • I did not find an actual solution – After a number of exchanges with Microsoft WDK support,  I ended up abandoning VS2015 and now use only VS2013 for KMDF driver development.  On the test target systems, I uninstalled the Win10/VS2015 test target setup, and reverted to the Win8.1/VS2013 version.

I submitted a ticket to Microsoft WDK support  and received the following information that led me to this workaround:

•    Cause - The provisioning/deployment process is paired. VS2015->WDK10 and VS2013->WDK8.1 They cannot be mixed. For VS 2015 you must install the WDK provisioning setup tool from WDK 10. And for VS 2013, the provisioning setup tool from WDK 8.1. They also cannot coexist on the same machine at this time. You must reprovision if you switch between VS2015 and VS2013.

•    Resolution - Workaround only. Ok to stay with VS 2013 and WDK 8.1 for developing KMDF/UMDF drivers. No issues anticipated for these driver to run on Win10. Other than universal driver scenarios, regular KMDF/UMDF drivers will work normally on Win10.

Basically, the conclusion was that VS2015 and VS2013 cannot both be used for kernel development on the same development and target machines. The Win10 WDK uses a different target side service than the Win8.1 WDK. The communication protocol is different. I was told there is no way to consolidate them, and no plan to fix the issue.

(By the way, WDK support was extremely responsive and helpful with this unfortunate situation – although the incompatibility is frustrating, I cannot fault their efforts to determine the root cause)

Bill
    Friday, March 18, 2016 1:44 AM
  • I have a similar problem. I have WIN7 PC and development host & a WIN10 PC as test/targetPC.

Have vs2015 + WDK10 installed in my dev PC. Installed the WDKTest framework on test PC and able to provision the setup for kernel debugging.

But when I click on Visual studio "start debugging" button, an error message is poped up saying " UNABLE TO START DEBUGGING. Check debugger settings...."

This blockage is frustrating me.

Not sure if this error is due to bug in my dev pc setup or in test PC.

Initially once from my dev PC , I was able to debug the USB wdf driver on the test PC. But due to boost library compilations issues, I uninstalled & installed the WDK10. Since then I am stuck with this problem.

Changing the Test PC is NOT helping anymore.   Any clue as how to get the setup back to operation again?

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:16 PM
  • For what it's worth, I encountered the same bug after I re-installed the OS on my target machine and forgot to re-run the "WDK Test Target Setup MSI"

See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn745909.aspx
    • Edited by Edward Falk Monday, October 31, 2016 7:44 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 7:43 PM