none
All User Excel 2010 Addin RRS feed

• Question

• Platform: Windows 7 64bit, 32bit Office 2010, Visual Studio 2010

I'm attempting to create a simple ribbon addin (a new tab on the ribbon) for Excel 2010. I can use the setup generated and it works fine for the Current User but I'm unable to get the addin to silently install and display for All Users. There are similar posts in the forums, but I've been unable to get mine to work as I would like - this may be down to an incomplete understanding - I'm not a developer but MSI Packager with a general scripting ability.

The end result I would like is a install that can be deployed to a machine and the addin appear to all users. No prompts or warnings should appear. Ideally I'd like deploy using an MSI.

As mentioned above, running the setup.exe generated by publish from VS works fine for the Current User. 

To reach the MSI stage, I first needed to work out how to install the addin without the setup. So, I've tried taking the files generated from publishing and copying them to C:\program files (x86)\Microsoft office\ and then adding the following registry keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\ExcelAddIn1]
    "Description"="ExcelAddIn1"
    "FriendlyName"="ExcelAddIn1"
    "LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003
    "Manifest"="file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/Addin1/ExcelAddIn1.vsto|vstolocal"
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VSTO\Security\Inclusion\e2516cbc-9e57-4849-b1ce-4a05e21a69d4]
    "Url"="file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/Addin1/ExcelAddIn1.vsto"
    "PublicKey"="<RSAKeyValue><Modulus>rUbUT+/mig1Y413iVq9SbAncvtrKNuTYlkjlHVlZsW8VZqv2N3DY2O7YgibenC/psbbRu1G1nhfz/neM13tZUeNCLt2/l8CsZnz4dWLSgerf3eQJ0JiUuI6fz0IZQwR82fMGiYqYuNG0yBgt9XpuNYOqHCfl+IsYOS6rQGRTn00=</Modulus><Exponent>AQAB</Exponent></RSAKeyValue>"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\ExcelAddIn1]
    "Description"="ExcelAddIn1"
    "FriendlyName"="ExcelAddIn1"
    "LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003
    "Manifest"="file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/Addin1/ExcelAddIn1.vsto"

Files copied:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Addin1\ExcelAddIn1.vsto
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Addin1\setup.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Addin1\Application Files\ExcelAddIn1_1_0_0_0\ExcelAddIn1.dll.deploy
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Addin1\Application Files\ExcelAddIn1_1_0_0_0\ExcelAddIn1.dll.manifest
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Addin1\Application Files\ExcelAddIn1_1_0_0_0\ExcelAddIn1.vsto
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Addin1\Application Files\ExcelAddIn1_1_0_0_0\Microsoft.Office.Tools.Common.v4.0.Utilities.dll.deploy

This causes the addin to automatically try and load when launching Excel, however the VSTO installer dialog displays to 'finish off' the installation. I presume some Current User elements are being written at this point.

If I revert the machine back to a clean state, copy the files across, add the above reg keys and then run VSTOInstaller /install <path>  and then launch Excel, the addin loads as expected with no additional dialogs.

I've read posts such as saurabh-bhatia's which suggest that all is needed is a HKLM key, but I'm not getting any joy from that. 

So where do I need to be looking to get a complete all user installation without any dialogs? What elements is VSTOInstaller /install putting down and can they be added to an All User location to prevent the requirement for each user?

Appreciate your help on this

Sunday, April 1, 2012 2:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Greenwich456,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Fourm.

It's based on my experience that you have wrong Hive in your project. You need regist your add-in to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\ExcelAddIn1 for all Users due to your Office is 32-bit on 64-bit platform.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:49 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

Apologies, the HKLM reference above has a typo. I do infact create the key at HKLM\software\wow6432node\microsoft.....

To recap, with the 3 registry entries listed above (including the local key to wow6432node) the addin auto loads for all users, BUT the installer runs to 'finish off' the installation. I'm trying to find out how to stop the installer dialog from appearing or prepopulate so it doesn't need to run. Or as a second best, not have the installer dialog presented with the cancel button (so users can't stop it).

(for an example of the installer dialog see, this sample or this one. )

Appreciate any help.
    Thanks,.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 10:57 AM
  • Hi Greenwich456,

Please check your registy hive and check the value "Manifest"="file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/Addin1/ExcelAddIn1.vsto|vstolocal". To see whether you omitted |vstolocal in you value. It's based on my experience the setup dialog only show when you omitted |vstolocal.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:52 AM
  • Hi Greenwich456,

Any update?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 2:58 AM