Very Basic Build question RRS feed

• Question

• User332559773 posted

Hello,

I have a basic question. when I open my browser and type in http://localhost:1715/ABC/default.aspx  nothing comes up.

But when I press F5 for debugging which automatically opens the browser at the same location, it opens fine and after stopping the debugging  I can go to the browser and the open the same location. I basically need to press F5 once and after that there is no need to press F5.

Why I have to press F5 to get my URL working?

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:54 PM

Answers

• User771898575 posted

hi

On deployement server you do not need Visual studio, because virtual directory for your solution will be created there.
    To access your code the path would be as

http://webserverName/AppName/default.asps

Here site will not be hosted on temporary port, that is opened my visual studio.
    Rather it will be accesed through Port: 80, that is being used for all TCP/IP comunication

Hope this will help you

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 12:01 AM
  • User-744022866 posted

No,.. the web server coming with Visual studio is for development purposes. As a developer you dont want IIS to run asp.net over visual studio.. So it makes easy for you to develop, debug, etc. IN production, it will be IIS alone .. you dont require any other

All replies

• User-744022866 posted

When you press f5, visual studio starts a web server(Cassini web server) that listening to the particular port. This is coming along with visual studio. When you initially tries, the web server was not running, thats why you were getting error.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 10:59 PM
  • User332559773 posted

Thanks for your answer but when we deploy the application to IIS web server then does this web server (Cassini web server) also running?
    Do we need both on the actual production environment? Thanks.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 11:50 PM
  • User771898575 posted

hi

On deployement server you do not need Visual studio, because virtual directory for your solution will be created there.
    To access your code the path would be as

http://webserverName/AppName/default.asps

Here site will not be hosted on temporary port, that is opened my visual studio.
    Rather it will be accesed through Port: 80, that is being used for all TCP/IP comunication

Hope this will help you

• User-744022866 posted

No,.. the web server coming with Visual studio is for development purposes. As a developer you dont want IIS to run asp.net over visual studio.. So it makes easy for you to develop, debug, etc. IN production, it will be IIS alone .. you dont require any other