IntelliLock - is it good? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a couple of questions for those who have IntelliLock:
    http://www.eziriz.com/intellilock.htm

Is it good? Is it worth its price? How impossible is to decompile the IntelliLock protected .NET application?
    Does the IntelliLock locked application run any slower than the originally compiled one? Is the new protected application having same compatibility specifications as the original one? Are there any extra libraries required in order to run the locked version of the application?

Are there any annoying known issues with it?

I tried contacting eziriz, but they just won't reply to the emails.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:54 PM

Answers

• Intellilock seems to be a reasonable locking plus obfuscation option.  It does support the main obfuscator features.

However, there are a couple of things in your question I'd mention to you:

"How impossible is to decompile the IntelliLock protected .NET application?"

No obfuscator is 100% secure.  They all just make it more difficult, but not impossible, to "break" or "decompile" your application.  The barrier for this is much higher than a non-protected assembly, but a determined person could still get there.  This is true of unmanaged code, as well.

As for speed, the locked application shouldn't be significantly slower than an unlocked one.  Obfuscation can actually improve performance in many cases (true of nearly all obfuscators).  There can be some speed hits due to the added license checks, but that's somewhat configurable by you, as well.

Compatibility and requirements should be the same as your original app.

"I tried contacting eziriz, but they just won't reply to the emails."

Frankly, this would be a giant red flag to me - I don't like purchasing products that are difficult to get support.  My thought is that, if you can't get somebody to answer a sales question, you're probably never going to get support.  Just something to think about.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    • Proposed as answer by Lenny S Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, May 11, 2009 3:40 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:01 PM

All replies

• Intellilock seems to be a reasonable locking plus obfuscation option.  It does support the main obfuscator features.

No obfuscator is 100% secure.  They all just make it more difficult, but not impossible, to "break" or "decompile" your application.  The barrier for this is much higher than a non-protected assembly, but a determined person could still get there.  This is true of unmanaged code, as well.

As for speed, the locked application shouldn't be significantly slower than an unlocked one.  Obfuscation can actually improve performance in many cases (true of nearly all obfuscators).  There can be some speed hits due to the added license checks, but that's somewhat configurable by you, as well.

Frankly, this would be a giant red flag to me - I don't like purchasing products that are difficult to get support.  My thought is that, if you can't get somebody to answer a sales question, you're probably never going to get support.  Just something to think about.

• Proposed as answer by Lenny S Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, May 11, 2009 3:40 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Any other suggested software like IntelliLock (.NET reactor sister I guess)
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:02 PM
  • Intellilock is doing two things -

It's an obfuscator, of which there are many: http://www.csharp411.com/net-obfuscators/

It's also trying to be a licensing component.  There are many of these available and can be found by searching in your favorite search engine for ".net licensing component".

There are other products that do both in addition to Intellilock.  XHEO makes products to handle both, for example: http://www.xheo.com/
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:06 PM
  • I'm currently using IntelliLock for licensing purposes at the company I work for. We haven't fully deployed our software yet but I'm very satisfied so far. As Reed Copsey, Jr mentions, IntelliLock offers both obfuscation and licensing.
    There is no need for extra external libraries, this is merged in to the protected asseblies thus they tend to grow a bit.
    The license can be based on hardware on the local machine which is what we use. This kind of protection is still very difficult to crack. The assembly is not only obfuscated, it's also encrypted.
    Through the license file you can add lots of encrypted custom information that can be easily read by your application. We use this mainly for selecting what parts of the application to unlock depending on what the customer has paid for.
    I'm sorry to hear you had no luck contacting Eziriz, I received reply on a rather heavy list of technical questions within 24 hours. 

/Calle
    - Still confused, but on a higher level -
    Friday, May 8, 2009 4:59 PM
  • Hello,

I use .NET Reactor in my VS2005 projects.

I don´t have any problem yet.

In my projects use a lot dlls protected with Stong Name.

You can use a trial version for evaluate it.

Good Luck

Friday, May 8, 2009 6:03 PM
  • I personally favor .NET code protection over obfuscation tools. The reason is the obfuscation often introduce issues pertainning to usage of reflection API or other .NET programming patterns such as xml serialization. The real issue is that usage of an obfuscation tools demands an extra QA cycle in order to ensure the application code flow remains intact.
    I'd recommend CliSecure as a .NET code protection solution, for more information please refer to http://www.secureteam.net

• Proposed as answer by Mike Dr. _ Saturday, September 5, 2009 2:45 PM
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 2:41 PM
  • Hi,

Is it possible to use the Intellilock and .Net Reactor at the same time?

Thanks
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 10:16 AM

• Yes, you can! But it is not necessary as IntelliLock is a .NET code protector as well. It combines code protection/obfuscation/licensing in a 100% managed way.

However, if you want to combine IntelliLock and .NET Reactor you need to lock your assembly with IntelliLock first. All protection features in IntelliLock must be disabled except "String Encryption" (not "Advanced String Encryption") and "Control Flow Obfuscation". Now you can protect your IntelliLock locked assembly in .NET Reactor with the following options:
    -NecroBit
    -Native EXE File
    -PreJIT Methods
    -Anti ILDASM
    -Obfuscation
    -Anti Tampering
    -String Encryption
    -Compress & Encrypt Resources

Control Flow Obfuscation must be disabled in .NET Reactor.

The described way above works fine with .NET Reactor v4.0.8.5:
    http://www.eziriz.com/downloads/dotnet_reactor_setup_latest.exe
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:24 PM

There are some really detemined people out there that tries to break this kind of software. When I searched for ".net reactor crack" I got several interesting results, but I only read the first one http://www.reteam.org/board/showthread.php?t=801&page=5 as it was enough for me.

I am also looking for a software to assist me with activation for my own product, but so far I have not decided on what to use.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:27 AM
  • Kjell-Åke,

Your link refers to old posts and the latest versions (v4.x) offers new and strong protection techniques.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:03 AM
  • We use IntelliLock in combination with  Xenocode Virtual Application Studio 2010
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:51 PM
  • I don't think that Eziriz is good, there are a lot of problems with antiviruses and security. If you'll try to protect anyCPU project you'll have prblem with compatibility of your app in 64-bit platforms.

So why don't you try very good Spices.Net Obfuscator ? It is really worth its price.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:25 PM
  • I don't think that Eziriz is good, there are a lot of problems with antiviruses and security. If you'll try to protect anyCPU project you'll have prblem with compatibility of your app in 64-bit platforms.
    What are you talking about? I use the most recent .NET Reactor release with AnyCPU VS2010 projects on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 and it works as expected. And what AV and security issue did you have? Neither Symantec Endpoint Protection or MS Security Essentials report any issue with my .NET Reactor protected assemblies.
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 6:15 PM
    What are you talking about? I use the most recent .NET Reactor release with AnyCPU VS2010 projects on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 and it works as expected. And what AV and security issue did you have? Neither Symantec Endpoint Protection or MS Security Essentials report any issue with my .NET Reactor protected assemblies.

I have been trying the demo versions for 2 years now and see the same problem; the licensing features don't work consistently.

Even if only the hardware lock feature is used, it may or may not run, giving the error message "valid license file not found" even if I had just generated a license file 10 minutes ago.

My current setup: Win XP SP2 with .net 3.5. I set .net reactor to merge my exe and dll's. Target machine does not have anti-virus.

Solution, anyone?

Friday, December 10, 2010 2:07 PM
  • Hello,

For a more professional way to protect applications I would suggest looking at Sentinel or HASP Solutions (http://www.safenet-inc.com/software-monetization/sentinel-hasp/). These are tried and tested solutions that offer full entitlement management solutions.

One benefit of using these established solutions is they seperate out enforcement technology from Licensing and entitlements. This may not matter so much is you only intend to sell 10 copies of software in one year. It does however when you start supporting 100 -200+ customers over 3-4years. Hackers are clever, they will eventually find a weakness - therefore being able to send enforcement updates without resending licenses becomes useful.

just my two-cents and change.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:58 PM
  • Hi,

after hard and long work, I have discovered that the IntelliLock Lock Settings and License Generator does not working properly or DOSE NOT WORK AT ALL!!!!

Today I have downloaded the IntelliLock 1.5.6.0 last version with hoping that they have fixed the old bugs but unfortunately nothing is fixed except I got a new message that my licence is expired and I have to bay a new one or renew my licence (Pay about 100 $).

Greetings

Bassam Alugili

Monday, September 10, 2012 11:07 AM
  • Hi Bassam.

Why you think its?

I am considering this product for a big project, and before using it I would like further information from you if you can.

Thx

Monday, November 2, 2015 6:12 PM
  • Nonsense, it is stated that it works with mono, but in reality there is not! There is a bug! Tech support does not answer!
    If you want a normal tech support, then do not recommend this product! The author has collected money and now does not answer!
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:00 AM
  • I am writing for the hundredth time to author Intellilock! Do you treat all the customers with respect to animals? Do you make a profit and then deceive customers ??? Your product does not work, I'm writing about it and you are silent! Return money, I'll buy another product! you are cheaters! People, if you do not want to be deceived, do not buy this person from this product! Technical support is simply silent, the product is not working!
    • Proposed as answer by mu-C Kuper Sunday, July 2, 2017 3:09 PM
    Monday, May 29, 2017 9:45 AM
  • I am using it on a public release product. It works relatively well and the price is unbeatable. The bad part is NO SUPPORT WHATSOEVER. I have written to them about 4 times now with questions, one of which is about a serious issue where they are using a time stamping service that is no longer available, preventing you from signing your assemblies, and have gotten 0 response. Not even an autoreply saying "we will get back to you". It makes it seems someone is there collecting the payments but nobody else in the company.

If you will need support, do not get this product. If you can wing it on your own, it will do a decent job.

Sunday, July 2, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

Realise this is an old post - but I'm suffering from the NO Support - no email response what so ever.

It has been a good product - but killing us now - need support or change quickly.

Also - no plug in for VS 2017.

If anyone can direct me to support - it will be appreciated.

Monday, October 2, 2017 3:13 PM
  • I'm a customer of .NET Reactor for some years now, I remember before 1st purchase, I sent some emails and didn't receive a response, BTW, I bought it since I had to! Obviously Dotfuscator is not priced for many of us (around 2K!) After purchase, I received response to all of my emails and support was actually great, I do believe they have an email system which highlight emails from customers due to very high volume of emails they receive and that's natural with their pricing... About performance it's a great tool, didn't use IntelliLock but it should be same as .NET Reactor. It fully support all OS, all VS.NET Versions, both x64 & x86 and didn't trigger any security software. Later I purchased Dotfuscator but I still use .NET Reactor for my most projects since it can embed application DLLs into the main executable, something that Dotfuscator can't do.

Friday, December 14, 2018 12:34 PM