Excel Data Mining Add in RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed Microsoft SQL Server 2012 DM Add-Ins (Data Mining) for Excel 2013.

While trying to configure the server the following error appears:

Unable to connect to server 'localhost'. Please make sure user 'murad.sawalha' has at least read permission to some database on the server.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Sunday, July 19, 2020 10:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Cathy,

Any ideas on what this error is about ?

Regards,

Murad

Hi MeVs,

>> so not sure if it works given that the Add-in is SQL 2012.

No, it can’t work.

According to MS download link:

Note: The Data Mining Add-ins require a connection to one of the following editions of SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services:
    Enterprise
    • Business Intelligence
    • Standard

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, July 27, 2020 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Murad Sawalha,

>>Unable to connect to server 'localhost'. Please make sure user 'murad.sawalha' has at least read permission to some database on the server.

Please check the account permission of user 'murad.sawalha', make sure your account have permission to access SQL Server Analysis Services or some database on the server. Suggest you add your account to the Server Administrator role. Please refer to Grant server admin rights to an Analysis Services instance.

And the authentication method should be Windows Authentication as analysis services does not support SQL Server Authentication.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, July 20, 2020 2:20 AM
  • Hi Murad Sawalha,

Any there any progress? Waiting for your update.

Best regards,
    Cathy

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 6:07 AM
  • Hi Cathhy,

it worked, the connection is now established, but now I am facing another issue.

an error message appears whenever I am attempting to start working.

"Object reference is not set to an instance of an object"

I have SQL Service Analysis installed and working, however, it is SQL 2019 Service Analysis so not sure if it works given that the Add-in is SQL 2012.

I could not find SQL 2012 Service Analysis

Friday, July 24, 2020 7:09 AM
  • Hi Cathy,

Regards,

Murad

Sunday, July 26, 2020 11:03 AM
  • Hi Cathy,

Regards,

Murad

Hi MeVs,

>> so not sure if it works given that the Add-in is SQL 2012.

No, it can’t work.

According to MS download link:

Note: The Data Mining Add-ins require a connection to one of the following editions of SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services:
    Enterprise
    • Business Intelligence
    • Standard

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support

Monday, July 27, 2020 7:53 AM
  • Thats really strange, considering that a connection was successful with the SQL Server Analysis Services that I have,

Any ideas where can I get the 2012 SSAS ? Could not find it online

Monday, July 27, 2020 7:36 PM