none
WES 8.1 - The wizard says "go away!" RRS feed

• Question

• Am I just dense, or is there no image creation wizard option for WES 8.1? All I see is what looks exactly like the installer for desktop windows 8.1 without the ability to change features or drivers. What gives?
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:36 PM

All replies

• There is no Windows Embedded Standard (WES) 8.1. There is Windows Embedded Industry (WEI) 8.1, which is basically install the OS like regular Windows. You can use System Image Manager to automate the installation.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:16 AM
  • How are you supposed to manage embedded enabling features? Still no way to sideload applications?  Modern UI won't even run in a reasonable screen resolution for an embedded device? Windows 8 RDP client still missing with no way to install?  FAIL!

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Working on the first question - SIM can be used to preset - some not all embedded enabling features like WES' ICE. Or you can add them from the Programs and Settings -> Add/Remove Windows Features. ELM can do the configuring.

Sideload - agreed - fail.

Surface UI (Modern UI) - haven't run into.

RDP missing - why I don't know.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:08 PM

• RDP missing - why I don't know.

As a clarification, Windows embedded 8.X does have the "classic" RDP client (mstsc.exe). I want the modern-UI RDP client that can only be obtained from the windows store as far as I know. One of the most likely applications for embedded is a thin client, and the modern-UI RDP client is very desirable to build a touch-enabled thin client. 
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:26 PM
  • I don't know if the store is restricted with Windows Embedded 8.1 Pro. Windows Embedded 8.1 Pro is Windows 8.1 with embedded restrictions. The lockdown features are not available, but you might get store access.

Friday, September 20, 2013 4:07 AM
  • OK, so if I have this straight...Windows 8.1 Pro is what they used to call Windows XXXX for embedded systems?
    Friday, September 20, 2013 5:35 PM
  • Yes. MS appears to do this random name changing to frustrate customers, or they don't want to admit that they screwed up in 2008 in renaming all their products.

Friday, September 20, 2013 5:57 PM