Any workaround for xtrareports extension after installing office developer tools july update? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

this extension disappeared somewhere when installing VS2013 updates..

It was present when having VS2013 update 1 and office developer tools march, but now with VS2013 update 3 and office developer july update it's gone, even when using latest 13.2.12 version which has support for xtrareports for lightswitch (from version 14.1 LS reports are gone).. so now there is no datasources for reports, no support for report data designer, cannot build project and la-la-la.. 

any ideas? tnx..

Kivito

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! (M.P.F.C.)

Monday, October 27, 2014 8:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you to uninstall and reinstall XtraReports for LightSwitch.

Here is a tutorial which could help you with this:

https://community.devexpress.com/blogs/seth/archive/2011/07/14/how-to-install-xtrareports-for-lightswitch.aspx

If you need any further assistance ,please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:31 AM
  • Hi Kivito,

1. Do you have all the references set right in Client & Server?

2. Can you create a new report or is that option gone?

3. If yes. Can you a data source or not to the report?

4. If not see https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/7355a556-b0f8-4af7-ab40-10e41fd8566b/devexpress-reports-after-march-update?forum=lightswitch

I have been fiddling with xtrareport many times to make it work and there are some issues to take care of first. Please let me know if you need any further help.

Regards

Sven

Sven Elm

• Marked as answer by Kivito Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:06 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:11 AM
  • hi!

@Qimin - tnx, I've tried this in various permutations, lost about 10 hours with installing / re-installing, removing VS2013 updates, office developer tools, etc. without luck.. I guess it's matter of devex support for MS updates..

@Sven - well this is promising.. had tried but didn't succeeded to get report in report preview control.. I've tried with latest 13.2.12 version and needed to add some extra stuff to get report designer working for datasources..

under Initalize_component() I've added:

Me.LightswitchDataSource1.CollectionName = "Customers"
    Me.LightswitchDataSource1 = New DevExpress.XtraReports.LightSwitchDataSource()
    Me.LightswitchDataSource1.DataSource = GetType(LightSwitchApplication.Customer)
    Me.LightswitchDataSource1.DataSourceName = "ApplicationData"
    Me.LightswitchDataSource1.IsQuery = True ' -> for this I'm not sure is it needed, maybe only when you use LS query with parameters

so that fixed datasource problems with report designer..

then I tried to get report preview screen, it wasn't listed under templates, so I added empty screen, added ReportPreviewcontrol from client assembly, add screen property ReportTypeName and in "screen_activated" method assigned name of report.. when tried to see the report, I got another error that xtrareport1 does not derive from "DevExpress.XtraReports.UI.LightSwitchReport", so I also changed that.. that step removed this error but I got another error - "Object reference not set to instance of an object." so currently I'm trying to solve this one..

Kivito

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 1:48 PM
  • yeah, after messing with some error in report (LightSwitchDataSource1 is not ok, scripting language is not ok) I succeeded to get report in preview screen..

basically I commented datasource in report.designer.vb, and then I re-assigned it under LightSwitchDataSource2 and everything started to work.. so there is a way but it's needed to memorize/write full procedure so there is no wrong steps to get it working (and yeah I'm still not sure about full procedure though).. 

Kivito

edit: also I did set the name of reportPreviewControl to ReportViewer, not sure if it has something with it but you never know.. :)

• Edited by Kivito Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:16 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:09 PM
  • Hi Kivito

Better you can use Silverlight Reporting Tools e.g - Telerik, DevExpress etc. instead of XtraReport for LightSwitch.

Regards

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi
    www.lightswitchspecial.com

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.
    This will help other users to find their answer quickly.

• Proposed as answer by porofessn Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:22 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:23 PM
  • tnx guys!

@Rashmi - you mean plain silverlight reporting product?

well I was little playing with some stuff and this is what I got:

You can create separate solution just for reports, similar like when you creating wcf ria services:

- add existing item like "objectContextFile" (eg "ApplicationDataObjectContext.vb") as link to your class library

- create report and from toolbox drop "BindingSource" to your report..

- wizard will be shown to create/generate your datasource -> choose "Object"

- browse in tree view to "<your_class_library>.LightSwitchApplication.Implementation" and there choose wanted class (eg "Customer")..

- now you'll have design datasource to work with BUT without computed properties, but it's not hard to implement them in designer datasource:

you can create partial class Customer in your class library and there create public property named as your computed property (eg "Full_name"), it's important to put it in same namespace, in this case "LightSwitchApplication.Implementation", after rebuild that property will also be available in design datasource - that's important cause you cannot format specific fields in report if it's not bound to some property (in example decimal field as currency)..

- and now you can use something as command table pattern to send parameters (which query to use, range from - to, name of report to use) to server.. In "CTP_inserting" method you can set the datasource for report like:

Xtrareport1.datasource = me.DataWorkspace.Customers.GetQuery.Execute

or

Xtrareport1.datasource = me.DataWorkspace.CustomersByName(name).Execute

and there generate pdf document in some folder on server (and also implement webbrowser control with pdf plugin to show pdf directly into the application), or return it as stream through command table pattern binary field to some viewer on client, or.. 

I really didn't go too deep into this but I guess it could be used for SL and for HTML client also.. there are some quirks, some extra steps but it's possible to create one kind of report and use it for every query combination.. It would be nice to somehow send to server linq expression which is used to get the data on client, but I'm not sure if this is possible and also is it practical..

Kivito

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:45 AM