SPD 2007 - Connect to a database fails RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to use an external Access database with WSS 3.0 with SPD 2007.  Keep getting multiple errors of the ""Server Error: An error occurred while retrieving the list of Databases" or "The server for the data source returned a non-specific error when trying to execute your query" variety that lots of other folks seem to have. 

Have not found a sucessful custom connection string (OLE DB or ODBC) that will allow me to connect to the database.  I have both an accdb and and mdb versions of the database available. 

The databases are not password protected. The database files are on the same server as WSS 3.0.  Access 2007 opens the file fine.  Another website (non-WSS) on the same server connects to the mdb version of the database with ODBC using the DSN name fine. 

In the Application Event Log, I'm seeing Events 2803 and 17137 associated with MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE, but they're Information entries rather than Warning or Errors

In SharePoint Central Administration, the Content Database Server is Microsoft##SSEE, OLEDB is listed under Enable Data Retrieval Services, and Update Query Support is enabled.

I see some posts about the need to edit web.config.  Since the database files are on the same server, I don't think I need a proxy here.  Which copy of web.config would I modify and what would be the proxy entries? Do I need to stop and restart IIS after modifying that file?

Any suggestions on where to go next would be appreciated.

Pete

Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

SPD 2007 does not support access database connection.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/thread/b13ae1b6-7ad6-47b9-8a3d-688c3662abdf

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, August 6, 2010 6:03 AM
    Monday, August 2, 2010 8:28 AM
  • Ouch.  Any ideas why?  Would have thought that with the Microsoft Jet OLE DB Provider, any database that complied with that standard would be available from SharePoint and SPD

What would be other options?  This is a standard standalone Win2003 server with WSS 3.0 and IIS installed.  The SharePoint content database is running in the embedded MS SQL Express database that comes with SharePoint.  Does SharePoint or Win2003 Server license allow me to create another database and move the Access 2007 database into it?

We've tried linking the databases together with Access 2007 and SharePoint, but then the public website (using Dreamweaver) can't access the linked tables that Access and SharePoint use to link to each other.

Pete

Monday, August 2, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe you can try the visual studio to connect to the access database.

Or you can import data from access databases into SQL databases and use it since that sharepoint already use this kind of databases.

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:54 AM
  • SQL (2005?) Express comes with WSS 3.0.  Does the license allow me to use SQL EE for other, non WSS databases?  I have SQL Server Management Studio Express installed already on the sever.  So I think it would be fairly simple to create another database to work with.

Pete

Saturday, August 7, 2010 1:31 PM