moving sql server agent jobs RRS feed

• Question

• I want to move Sql Agent Jobs from one sql server (2000) to another sql server (2005). I am using Sql Server Management Studio. Can any one tell me, how to move all sql server agent jobs using sql server management studio?

Thanks

Monday, October 8, 2007 2:29 PM

Answers

• After creatig Script in new window (or you can script to file also) copy the script from this window, Connect to new Server and open a Query Analyser window there then paste the Script and run. Basically, you are running the script in same server thats why you are getting Job Already Exists error.

Madhu

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:38 AM

All replies

• Best method is to Script the jobs and run the script in target server

Madhu

Monday, October 8, 2007 3:09 PM
  • As Madhu said, you should right click on the job and choose Script as ... and then run that script against the other server and it will create your job.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 4:16 AM
  •  

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. But I am having some issues. Actually, I am really a novice user in sql field. So that I am having some problems to understand/ follow the instruction you gave me. I right click on the job and choose "Script Job as" and then I select "Create to" and followed by "New Query Window editor" . Now if i click on "Execute" button then I am getting one error message "The specified @name ('AAC_DR_Step1Ex') already exists" . So I am not sure exactly how to run that script against the other server. I will really appreciate you, if you kindly tell me in details how to follow all the spets in details.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 7:52 PM
  •  

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. But I am having some issues. Actually, I am really a novice user in sql field. So that I am having some problems to understand/ follow the instruction you gave me. I right click on the job and choose "Script Job as" and then I select "Create to" and followed by "New Query Window editor" . Now if i click on "Execute" button then I am getting one error message "The specified @name ('AAC_DR_Step1Ex') already exists" . So I am not sure exactly how to run that script against the other server. I will really appreciate you, if you kindly tell me in details how to follow all the spets in details.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 7:53 PM
  • After creatig Script in new window (or you can script to file also) copy the script from this window, Connect to new Server and open a Query Analyser window there then paste the Script and run. Basically, you are running the script in same server thats why you are getting Job Already Exists error.

Madhu

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:38 AM
  • Pls refer the below link,
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa177024(SQL.80).aspx

You need to script the jobs in sql server 2000 by following the below instructions,
    Go to management--->jobs--->select the job and right click--->all task and select generate sql script--->In the file name box choose the path by clicking
    ... button and give the name for the script and click ok the script will be created in the desired path. You can then run the script in sql 2005 management studio.

Regards
    Deepak

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:44 AM