MDS 2012 - Domain Based Attribute related to entity that belongs to another model RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using MDS 2012 to maintain to distinct models:  People and Contact Info.

I would like to have a domain based attribute (let say, Province) on my People entity (in People Model) linked to my Province Entity included in the Contact Info Model.

I know that I can use SSIS and DQS to validate new records at the data loading process, but I just want to know if it is possible to do it using MDS interface (or Excel Add-In)

Thanks

SB

Friday, July 6, 2012 1:28 PM

Answers

• I actually logged this with the MDS team a while back.  My suggestion was to allowed sharing entity among models.  Basically you when setting up an entity you can flag is as a Master entity and then have the ablility to share among different models.  The only place that entity can be updated would be where it was created and the other models that sources this entity would basically be readonly but could be used as a DBA.

Their response "Yes, this is something we are planning to address, it will be a big part of the next full release of the product. Thanks! MDS Team "

I know it doesn't help now but something to look forward to...along with a nice redesign.

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Monday, July 16, 2012 2:24 AM
    Saturday, July 7, 2012 3:25 AM

All replies

• the only way I am thinking you could do this (aside from the obvious SSIS data movement through the entity staging process), is to use the excel add-in and the associated 'combine data' functionality.  but its still a manual process.  You may want to consider (or you may have already considered) consolidating your entities into a single model. 
    Friday, July 6, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Thanks for your answer!

I am still curious:  Why Should we use different models? Addresses, for instance, are always shared by many business areas (Customers, Warehouse Location, ...) Maybe it is more a question about MDM architecture.

Any thoughts?

Steph. B.

Friday, July 6, 2012 5:29 PM
  • I actually logged this with the MDS team a while back.  My suggestion was to allowed sharing entity among models.  Basically you when setting up an entity you can flag is as a Master entity and then have the ablility to share among different models.  The only place that entity can be updated would be where it was created and the other models that sources this entity would basically be readonly but could be used as a DBA.

Their response "Yes, this is something we are planning to address, it will be a big part of the next full release of the product. Thanks! MDS Team "

I know it doesn't help now but something to look forward to...along with a nice redesign.

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Monday, July 16, 2012 2:24 AM
    Saturday, July 7, 2012 3:25 AM
  • For those interested, this is the Connect link where this feature is being
    requested, you can vote up.
    http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/747407/mds-share-entity-amoung-models

Heidl Technologies

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:00 AM
  • The biggest reason to use different models is for model versioning, if you have everything in one model you have to get all business functional areas to agree and coordinate on the locking and releasing of a version.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:51 AM