none
Happy Birthday Karen RRS feed

All replies

• Thanks Cor :-)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Saturday, September 9, 2017 10:07 AM
  • I didn't know when it is...

Happy birthday, Kareninstructor.

Thank you for your many suggestions. They have helped many users.

Ashidacchi

Saturday, September 9, 2017 12:37 PM
  • Thank you :-)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Saturday, September 9, 2017 2:38 PM
  • So this made me think of "how do you say Happy Birthday" SQL Style :-)

The following will run in SQL Server Management Studio.

WITH    CTE_HB1 ( a, b, c, d )
              AS ( SELECT TOP 1
                            MAX(a) ,
                            MAX(b) ,
                            MAX(c) ,
                            MAX(d)
                   FROM     ( SELECT    CHAR(72) + CHAR(65) + CHAR(80) + CHAR(80)
                                        + CHAR(89) + CHAR(32) a ,
                                        'AA20100' b ,
                                        CASE DB_NAME()
                                          WHEN 'TWO' THEN DB_NAME()
                                          ELSE CHAR(84) + CHAR(79)
                                        END c ,
                                        CHAR(89) + 'OU' + CHAR(33) + CHAR(33) d
                              UNION ALL
                              SELECT    'GL20000' ,
                                        CHAR(66) + CHAR(73) + CHAR(82) + CHAR(84)
                                        + CHAR(72) + CHAR(68) + CHAR(65) + CHAR(89) ,
                                        CHAR(66) + 'R' ,
                                        'A' + 'TU'
                            ) UPR00100
                 ),
            CTE_HB2 ( e, f )
              AS ( SELECT   CHAR(68) + CHAR(69) + CHAR(65) + CHAR(82) ,
                            SUSER_SNAME()
                 )
        SELECT  a.a '     1     ' ,
                a.b '         2        ' ,
                a.c '    3    ' ,
                a.d '      4      '
        FROM    CTE_HB1 a
                CROSS APPLY ( SELECT    1 a
                              UNION ALL
                              SELECT    2
                            ) b
        UNION ALL
        SELECT  a.a ,
                a.b ,
                b.e ,
                b.f
        FROM    CTE_HB1 a
                CROSS APPLY CTE_HB2 b
        UNION ALL
        SELECT  a.*
        FROM    CTE_HB1 a;

VB Forums - moderator

Saturday, September 9, 2017 2:45 PM
  • So does this mean that the social.msdn.microsoft.com forums are finally social? We can now create non-technical social threads? Will there be Happy Birthday threads for all members or just for women? What is the policy here?

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, September 9, 2017 5:58 PM
  • So does this mean that the social.msdn.microsoft.com forums are finally social? We can now create non-technical social threads? Will there be Happy Birthday threads for all members or just for women? What is the policy here?

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

That has always been, but of course only in special occasions. 

If you get as many points as Karen last year, we wish you as well happy birthday on your birthday. 

Success
    Cor

Saturday, September 9, 2017 8:02 PM
  • That has always been, but of course only in special occasions. 

If you get as many points as Karen last year, we wish you as well happy birthday on your birthday. 

The question is, is that the official policy? If so, then where is it stated? Who decides the number of points? Does that apply to men and women both? The question of whether it is both men and women is highly relevant if this is being used as an opportunity to flirt with her.

In the past I have tried to ask why the "social" is in "social.msdn.microsoft.com" and my question was moved to off-topic posts. It is my understanding that this thread is also off-topic.

Saturday, September 9, 2017 9:32 PM
  • To answer some of your questions.

In regards to official policy, there is nothing on this but 99.99 percent of post are technical questions on VB.NET language.

Personally speaking it's rare for non-technical questions in any of the Microsoft forums. There are a higher chance of them during holidays and sometimes birthdays. 

Concerning points, best to say it's a thank you in this case. Speaking for myself (and I'm sure many of the regulars) we are not here to gain points to see who can get the most points. Points for regulars is essentially indicating the post was relevant, helpful to the current topic. Many other sites see points differently than here and are encouraged to out due others, this is not the case here, those who contribute on a regular (and many on a daily) basis are here to help others.

Gender does not matter, in  today's world it's male, female, binary and non-binary are all treated the same.

Why "Social" unofficially it's a community being social with technical question on Microsoft products.

None of the above express opinions of Microsoft, they are my thoughts :-)

VB Forums - moderator

Saturday, September 9, 2017 10:17 PM
  • That has always been, but of course only in special occasions. 

The question is, is that the official policy? If so, then where is it stated? Who decides the number of points? Does that apply to men and women both? The question of whether it is both men and women is highly relevant if this is being used as an opportunity to flirt with her.

In the past I have tried to ask why the "social" is in "social.msdn.microsoft.com" and my question was moved to off-topic posts. It is my understanding that this thread is also off-topic.

SS,

My thoughts are that "flirting" is really not cool.

Generally the rule is that this is a vb.net forum and anything else is off topic.

I think a happy birthday, congratulations, even happy holidays etc is fun and friendly and most folks dont mind now and then and then its gets moved off topic. That is generally how it has been here.

Its not hard to figure out what is vb.net and what is not really.

:)

PS Happy Bday Karen!
    Sunday, September 10, 2017 1:54 AM
  • I don't think moderators should be above the rules. They should follow the same rules that they expect others to follow. If the rules are that it is okay to post social threads on the weekend (before Monday morning in China) then that should be the official rules.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, September 11, 2017 2:24 AM
  • I don't think moderators should be above the rules. They should follow the same rules that they expect others to follow. If the rules are that it is okay to post social threads on the weekend (before Monday morning in China) then that should be the official rules.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

You are not a regular here. Otherwise you would know that it is more related than you would think at first sight. 

Karen has a dropped a sample in this forum with here birthday in it. A regular visitor who really looks at what others write before dropping something in this forum should have seen that. 

I decided to with here a happy birthday on the 9 of 9. I was curious if others had seen that too. 

Otherwise, how would I know Karen's birthday?

Success
    Cor

Monday, September 11, 2017 7:30 AM
  • You are not a regular here. Otherwise you would know that it is more related than you would think at first sight.

You said that already. Repeating it won't make it right.

p>Karen has a dropped a sample in this forum with here birthday in it. A regular visitor who really looks at what others write before dropping something in this forum should have seen that.

I don't understand. If I understand then regulars here should set the example for others to follow.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, September 11, 2017 8:19 AM

• I don't understand. If I understand then regulars here should set the example for others to follow.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Communities are very important for Microsoft. You are maybe a member of the community of Carthusians. 

However, that is not what is meant in this case. A community of friendly persons helping each other but not with the obligation to be silent. Therefore there is done on community building and nobody at Microsoft would tell that it is off topic as long as it is likewise Karen and Tommy already wrote. 

But those are regular community members of this forum. Even the chit chat you do now is not forbidden. It helps to set the borders what can be done in this forum.

Success
    Cor

Monday, September 11, 2017 8:47 AM