none
Get lots of "Visual Studio 2015 RC has stopped working" errors/restarts

Question

• I am using VS 2015 RC version: 14.0.24627.0 on a Windows 10 machine and get lots of random "stopped working" restarts. Typically every 20 minutes or so. I am using it for a new LOB type of UWP App.

It is unclear for me what causes the problem but I have some feeling that it is related to the size/complexity of the App: it is a rather big App with lots of xaml views, user controls and custom controls. I am working on this for quite some time and so have used earlier versions of VS 2015, all generating the same unexpected restarts.

The "stopped working" exception typically occurs at a moment when I am simply using the IDE editor. As far as I see also only while editing c# code (I typically always have a lot of files open). I have not seen it crashing during debugging.

This is becoming very frustating and so my question is what I can do to help pinpoint the problem (and hopefully get a solution for this).

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Jos Huybrighs,

The first step, please collect the Visual Studio operations log with /Log switch. It will help us collect all operations when we operate Visual Studio. The log file can be found at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml

Then please create a new UWP app with Visual Studio 2015 RC to confirm whether this problem is related to a specific project or all projects.

If occurs with a specific project, please try remove the .suo file which saves all user settings for current solution. If it doesn't work, please try with following steps.

1. Create a new solution with Visual Studio 2015 RC.
    2. Add "Existing project.." to remove the project from the old one to the new solution one by one, which can help us make sure which project lead to this problem.

If occurs with all project, please do with below steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Open Visual Studio 2015 RC as Administrator.
    2. Open Visual Studio 2015 in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" command to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    3. Uncheck following settings in Visual Studio Tools -> Options menu.
    4. Reset all settings.

In addition, I strongly recommend you upgrade your Visual Studio 2015 RC to Visual Studio 2015 RTM. Visual Studio 2015 RC is not a Released version, there has some issues. It is not uninstall Visual Studio 2015 RC when install Visual Studio 2015 RTM. When you install Visual Studio 2015 RTM, RC version will be upgrade automatically. And Visual Studio 2015 Community is a free version. You can get all VS2015 RTM version from below link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, November 12, 2015 3:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Jos Huybrighs,

The first step, please collect the Visual Studio operations log with /Log switch. It will help us collect all operations when we operate Visual Studio. The log file can be found at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml

Then please create a new UWP app with Visual Studio 2015 RC to confirm whether this problem is related to a specific project or all projects.

If occurs with a specific project, please try remove the .suo file which saves all user settings for current solution. If it doesn't work, please try with following steps.

1. Create a new solution with Visual Studio 2015 RC.
    2. Add "Existing project.." to remove the project from the old one to the new solution one by one, which can help us make sure which project lead to this problem.

If occurs with all project, please do with below steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Open Visual Studio 2015 RC as Administrator.
    2. Open Visual Studio 2015 in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" command to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    3. Uncheck following settings in Visual Studio Tools -> Options menu.
    4. Reset all settings.

In addition, I strongly recommend you upgrade your Visual Studio 2015 RC to Visual Studio 2015 RTM. Visual Studio 2015 RC is not a Released version, there has some issues. It is not uninstall Visual Studio 2015 RC when install Visual Studio 2015 RTM. When you install Visual Studio 2015 RTM, RC version will be upgrade automatically. And Visual Studio 2015 Community is a free version. You can get all VS2015 RTM version from below link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, November 12, 2015 3:31 AM
  • Thanks for the prompt support.

After looking into the log file of Visual Studio and not finding anything in there that points to a Visual Studio error (it always restarted without leaving a trace in the log file) I finally started to look more closely into the hardware of my system. I feel a little embarrassed now but it turned out that I had a bad memory module in my system. I replaced it and I have no problems anymore. Apparently the memory problem only occurred when Visual Studio was running.

Top class support!

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 7:27 PM