none
Azure Live Streaming Experience Question RRS feed

• Question

• We had a pretty dreadful experience using Azure live streaming last time we tried (12-18 months ago).  I'm a little hazy on the details, but in general the process seems slightly confusing and very very slow.  There was also significant lag between the live and the streamed video that seemed to increase over time.  That time we gave up and used YouTube for our needs.

We have the need to look into this again.  We'd need to stream a live feed and provide "DVR" capability as well as to store the videos as media in our current Azure vault product.  One of our developers (a huge gamer) mentioned to me that Microsoft released a "mixer" product for gamers which works beautifully and allows live feeds to be instantly switched on and guarantees very low latency.

Does anyone know anything about the tech used for Mixer vs the tech in Azure?  Should we be able to achieve equivalent results?

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 6:23 PM

All replies

• Mixer is definitely aimed at the Gamer community.   They provide low latency live delivery for smaller audiences then Media Services targets. 

Media Services has many more features that are more targeted at OTT delivery to multiple protocols, multiple DRM systems, archiving, DVR, video analytics, and subclipping capabilities. It's more of a complete video PaaS platform targeted at higher scale audiences, CDN delivery and cache-ability.

If Mixer works for your scenario, definitely use them.  They developed their own stack and use a custom protocol (FTL) for delivering and receiving low latency video. It's a form of WebRTC. 

Media Services works with the industry standard protocols for delivering to iOS, Android, Windows, etc. and all browsers using the common DASH and HLS protocols, which deliver over HTTP and have inherently more latency.  A lot of the latency comes from native players.  For example, Apple's native player always buffers 3 HLS segments on playback, and introduces latency (although you can control the size of the segments to a degree.)

I recommend you try out our new v3 API - we updated our Live platform, APIs, and SDKS quite a lot in the past 12 months.  Take a look at my //build presentation on Channel 9, and also try out this sample code for .NET Core (works on PC, Linux, Mac with .NET Core and VS Code)

https://github.com/johndeu/BUILD2018/tree/master/Azure%20Media%20v3/NETCore/Live

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 7:26 PM