none
wmi RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

does any one now how i can make my database come up in a wmi view so for examples if i clicked on a server name it will bring the server details up in a WMI view please and i am using VB.net 2008.

thank u  

Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:23 AM

Answers

• Yea but WMI information does not come from the database, it comes from the system and therefore it is called management instrumentarium the name could be better Windows System Management Instrumentarium, but some departments at Microsoft think often that they are the only or at least the most important one; so they make for other ones outside that department very bad to understand names.

This is an easy solution to Create all kind of queries for WMI.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=2cc30a64-ea15-4661-8da4-55bbc145c30e&displaylang=en

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:00 AM

All replies

• Faisal

In my idea are you using a wrong description. 

WMI is the Windows Management Instrumentarium not a kind of view

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:40 AM
  • Can WMI be used to find out the Database files ie.. SQL database files (*.mdf,*.ndf,*.ldf) Exchange files (*.edb,*.log,*.stm) and the Oracle database files? Are there any APIs to search for these fiels in the disk for backup purposes to backup using a separate backup spftware of my own?
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Hi

The thing is i want my programme to use WMI but i want the information to come from my database.

thank u

Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:50 AM
  • Yea but WMI information does not come from the database, it comes from the system and therefore it is called management instrumentarium the name could be better Windows System Management Instrumentarium, but some departments at Microsoft think often that they are the only or at least the most important one; so they make for other ones outside that department very bad to understand names.

This is an easy solution to Create all kind of queries for WMI.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=2cc30a64-ea15-4661-8da4-55bbc145c30e&displaylang=en

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:00 AM
  • Faisal,

Please don't create more threads for the same not yet as answered marked question. 

It stops people helping you.

No WMI cannot be used, but I gave you already a long answer on that, so you are now out of my scope.

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:02 AM
  • Thanks for the advise, but how do i create a  programme were i can search in to my database for example if i clicked on a server name it will bring up the server details from my database or how i can search in my company all teh server that are being used and bring their details up please

thank u

Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:12 AM