Unable to create bulk workitems using Excel in TFS 2013 update2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have TFS 2013 update2 environment. I am trying to create multiple workitems at a time using excel.

I am getting below error.

TF237165: Team Foundation could not update the work item because of a validation error on the server. This may happen because the work item type has been modified or destroyed, or you do not have permission to update the work item.

Please help me out in this.

Thanks,

Rajehs

Rajesh

• Edited by Raj_Rajesh Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:32 AM Added Image
    Monday, September 15, 2014 5:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do you have create work item permissions for the Area and Iteration you entered?

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:25 AM
  • Hi Rajehs,

Please try to add your account to the Area and Iteration you entered by clicking Security option, and grant your account appropriate permission:

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:39 AM
  • Hi Jesse and Dong,

Thanks for your replies.

I have checked, all the permissions are granted to create workitems.

I am able to create single workitem using excel, but getting error while creating multiple workitems using excel.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Rajesh

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:33 PM
  • Hi Rajesh,

I tried with my TFS 2013.3 + Excel 2013, and I can publish multiple work items using Excel successfully.

I'd like to suggest you update your TFS 2013.2 to TFS 2013.3 to have a try.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 10:50 AM
  • Do you know whether you're using a standard process template or whether it has been modified?

And is there a chance a server side plugin has been installed to do additional validation?

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 10:59 AM
  • Hi Dong,

We have recently upgraded from TFS 2012 to TFS 2013.2.

I am trying with Excel 2010. Do you think it is causing the issue?

Thanks,

Rajesh

Rajesh

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:05 AM
  • Hi Jesse, 

We are using standard process template. Wen we migrated TFS from 2012 to 2013.2, we have upgrade process template too to 6.1 version.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Rajesh

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:07 AM
  • Hi Rajesh,

Do you have other machines to test this issue? It's weird that you can publish one work item, but can't publish multiple work item.

Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:05 AM
  • Hi Dong,

I have tested this on multiple machines, even with different users.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Rajesh

Thursday, September 18, 2014 5:33 PM
  • Hi Rajesh,

I think you need to upgrade your TFS 2013 to update 3 to have a try. I don't have TFS 2013.2 to test your issue, but my TFS 2013.3 works well.

Friday, September 19, 2014 10:12 AM
  • That's crazy, bulk edits have worked ever since the Excel plugin was introduced and I'm not aware of any issues in the product that would prevent this. A server side plugin (like TFS Aggregator) or a set of specific work item rules might have this effect.

Friday, September 19, 2014 11:05 AM
  • Would it be possible for you to share the Process Template configuration for this work item type? And can you confirm that no plugins have been installed on the server? Has the server been recently rolled back to a previous point in time SQL backup) without clearing the Caches on the Application Tiers?

The fact that it's happening for all users on multiple clients suggests that it has something to do with how the server is reacting to your request.

Friday, September 19, 2014 11:12 AM
  • Hi Jesse,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please let me know how to check process template configuration and where i can find currently which process template is using?

We haven't cleared caches on old box before doing upgrade. and we used existing db's on same SQL for TFS upgrade.

Your suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rajesh Sirimulla

Rajesh

Friday, September 19, 2014 12:01 PM
  • Hi All,

Finally i have found the error for this.

We have integration of TFS 2013 update 2 and Project Server 2013. This is causing the issue.

I have removed integration of TFS and Project server and tried to create multiple workitems, i gets succeeded.

Please check out below links for more information. Thanks all for your time and advices.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/877470/tfs-2013-update-2-error-tf237165-team-foundation-could-not-update-the-work-item-because-of-a-validation-error-on-the-server-when-copying-a-work-item-in-web-access

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f01ca292-753e-47e3-8f60-1c738c62fa0a/tf237165-team-foundation-could-not-update-the-work-item-because-of-a-validation-error-on-the?forum=tfsworkitemtracking%205:47%20PM

Thanks,

Rajesh

• Edited by Raj_Rajesh Friday, September 19, 2014 1:39 PM Heperlinks
    • Marked as answer by Raj_Rajesh Friday, September 19, 2014 1:40 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2014 1:37 PM
  • Microsoft has confirmed this as a bug, and it should be fixed in TFS2012 Update 4.

Friday, September 19, 2014 3:53 PM