none
Importing MasterPages & Page Layouts That Built In One SharePoint 2013 Site to Another SharePoint 2013 Site

Question

• Hi All,

We have created a MasterPage and few Page Layouts using the same MasterPage in a SharePoint On-Premise environment. 

We hope to deploy this 'MasterPage' and 'Page Layouts' in several SharePoint 2013 Sites. So that

I successfully export the MasterPage and Page Layouts and import them to the corresponding location of each site.
    After importing them I was able to apply the new MasterPage to one of the new SharePoint Site. But unfortunately Page Layouts did not show, in the page creation step.

What I have done wrong? Can this be prevented by creating a bundled file like a .wsp file?

Please help me on this.

Thanks and regards,
    Chiranthaka 

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:16 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Yes there is provision to this. You don't need to anything manually.

Just export design package from your source site - it will package everything into a WSP file.

Go to destination sites - where you want to import those - Go to "Design Manager" --> "Upload Design Files".

And upload your WSP - it will copy everything as is. All files from style library, site assets, master page gallery and without any error you can use those.

Refer this MSDN forum for more details.

Hope this helps.

Regards Sarvesh Shinde SharePoint Developer, India

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:21 AM
  • I have few questions regarding this solution.

When I packaged the files including MasterPage, PageLayouts and suchlike, will the assets like CSS, JavaScript and image files also be bundled?

If they bundled altogether will they extract to the correct location i.e. Site Assets automatically?

Chiranthaka

Thursday, February 9, 2017 6:27 AM
  • Yes, everything get bundled in that WSP package. And when you import it everything get automatically imported to correct locations.

As I said every file from style library, site assets will get copied as is.

Even you can select option to copy "Search content" if you have made some changes in search display templates or created new then those also can get copied.

Hope this helps.

Regards Sarvesh Shinde SharePoint Developer, India

Thursday, February 9, 2017 12:41 PM
  • Hi Sarvesh,

When I tried to create the design package I got the below error. Could you please explain what I have done wrong. I have tried to create the design package by selecting and deselecting 'Include Search Configuration in this package'. But in both scenarios I ran into this error.

Sorry, something went wrong
    Error generating solution files in temporary directory.
    TECHNICAL DETAILS

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.
    Correlation ID: 1decd59d-b460-d0c5-633d-1fbe7e969bf5

Date and Time: 2/17/2017 7:00:07 AM

Could you someone please help on this

Thanks

Friday, February 17, 2017 3:14 PM