Deploying Item Templates to my collegues.Help needed. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Visual studio 2010 and I have created a project with 6 itemTemplates.  I would like ideally to deploy some sort vsix or whatever it is these days so that any of my collegue can double click and these will install the templates under a custom folder eg

"CompanyItemTemplates"

Template1

Template2

etc....

So that when the add new item they will see the new Folder and the item templates.

Please note that I know how to do this manually but I dont know how to package and create a vsix file that does what I want.

Are you kind enough to give a step by step instruction eg 1)do this 2)do that etc...

Thanks a lot very appreciated.

Thanks for your help
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 6:06 AM

Answers

• Hi DevBrix,

Have a look at this article written by Aaron Marten:

Creating and Sharing Project & Item Templates

as well as the Export Template Wizard (extension) on the Visual Studio Gallery.

Thank you,

Bill Weinberger

Monday, June 14, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Hello,

I recommend you use visual studio installer to do this task. Actually two steps is enough for this. You are not supposed to deploy your item template in a custom folder. You must deploy your templates in the folders in Program Files\Visual Studio 10\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates, the specific folder is according to your item template type.

Please follow the following two steps.

1.    Create a Setup project(other project types->Setup and deployment-Visual studio installer).

a)     Then right Click “File System on Target Machine”, add specific folder, then select “Custom Folder”.

b)     Click the new added folder, in the properties window, change the Name to the name you wanted, in the “Default location”, add [VS100COMNTOOLS]..\IDE\ItemTemplates(note: you need to change to this to the right folder according your item template type, [VS100COMNTOOLS]..\IDE\ItemTemplates is just Program Files\Visual Studio 10\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates).

2.    Use custom action to install the item template. Please see this link on how to run the custom action http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d9k65z2d.aspx

You need to use Process.Start to run the %VS100COMNTOOLS%..\IDE\devenv.exe installvstemplates command and /setup command. to finish the template installing.

Thanks

Chao

• Marked as answer by Chao Kuo Monday, June 21, 2010 5:40 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Chao Kuo Monday, June 21, 2010 6:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Chao Kuo Monday, June 21, 2010 6:31 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:02 AM

All replies

• Hi DevBrix,

Have a look at this article written by Aaron Marten:

Creating and Sharing Project & Item Templates

as well as the Export Template Wizard (extension) on the Visual Studio Gallery.

Thank you,

Bill Weinberger

Monday, June 14, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Hello,

I recommend you use visual studio installer to do this task. Actually two steps is enough for this. You are not supposed to deploy your item template in a custom folder. You must deploy your templates in the folders in Program Files\Visual Studio 10\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates, the specific folder is according to your item template type.

Please follow the following two steps.

1.    Create a Setup project(other project types->Setup and deployment-Visual studio installer).

a)     Then right Click “File System on Target Machine”, add specific folder, then select “Custom Folder”.

b)     Click the new added folder, in the properties window, change the Name to the name you wanted, in the “Default location”, add [VS100COMNTOOLS]..\IDE\ItemTemplates(note: you need to change to this to the right folder according your item template type, [VS100COMNTOOLS]..\IDE\ItemTemplates is just Program Files\Visual Studio 10\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates).

2.    Use custom action to install the item template. Please see this link on how to run the custom action http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d9k65z2d.aspx

You need to use Process.Start to run the %VS100COMNTOOLS%..\IDE\devenv.exe installvstemplates command and /setup command. to finish the template installing.

Thanks

Chao

• Marked as answer by Chao Kuo Monday, June 21, 2010 5:40 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Chao Kuo Monday, June 21, 2010 6:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Chao Kuo Monday, June 21, 2010 6:31 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:02 AM
  • thanks
    I have looked at those and found my answer.
    Thanks for your help
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:59 PM