how to solve publish error? RRS feed

• Question

• hi!

this can really piss me off.. i have project created with ctp4 but only silverlight part.. after update to "update 2", i've created html portion of app and wanted to publish it, so just right click on project and then "publish" and i get this lovely message:

now how can i solve this? I've encountered this error before with ctp4 and only solution was to restore backup file/project, but in this occasion i didn't create backup for more than 2 days, so all html portion of app is newly created.. i don't want to repeat 2 days of work so if someone can help with this i would be grateful.. right now my nerves are short and im really close to dump this **** to trash and start to spend my weekends on some less irritating parts of life.. thanks in advance..

Kivito

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! (M.P.F.C.)

Sunday, April 7, 2013 11:31 AM

Answers

• thanks Michael, i feel little better knowing that this things happens to all of us..

by looking this connect bug and this thread, another ctp4 project didn't have this issue so i assumed that it didn't have connection with azure tools june2012 sp1 installation..

few facedesks later and after doing a little maintenance with ccleaner, i simply tried to switch from oob app to web app (in project properties), and suddenly publish dialog appeared! after publishing web app, i returned settings to oob app to see if this works, and it did.. don't know what happened, but it seems that "something" settled on its place, and now it works.. murphy waits for next round.. :)

Kivito

• Marked as answer by Kivito Sunday, April 7, 2013 3:38 PM
    Sunday, April 7, 2013 3:38 PM

All replies

• The problem is is in try to publish not in debug?

1) I would try build and rebuild

2) Compare the database tables on the target server to the ones in the project

3) I have been able to recreate large projects that took weeks of work in only 2 hours. CTP4 was Beta.

The Visual Studio LightSwitch Marketplace

http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com

Sunday, April 7, 2013 12:17 PM
  • hi Michael!

yes, app is working fine on development pc, this error comes just by clicking on "publish", you don't even get to "publish" dialog.. I've tried already with clean, rebuild etc.. database on server (where i want to publish) is indeed outdated, but i suppose that this is why publish procedure is responsible to update database (same ctp4 desktop SL app was publishing and working fine).. i doubt that publish procedure even start.. i guess that it is possible to recreate project, but i'm not so familiar and experienced with that, this is not my daily job, i only have time in weekend to try to learn something new (i'm just computer technician and administrator with "will" to learn programming techniques).. 

Kivito

Sunday, April 7, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Believe me I was hopping mad when the huge project I had been working on for about an hour a week for months would not work when I tried to upgrade it to the released version. I was going to just bag it. Then I said, let me see how long it would take to recreate it...

After I recreated the tables in about 15 minutes I found that I could go to View File and simply copy all the user code that I worked weeks on creating. Recreating the screens took less than an hour.

I also had to recreate about 10 projects that I posted on my LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com site.

Yeah, beta software (sigh). The real problem is the beta software worked so well you ended up using it. It would have helped if it had more bugs :)

But, now it is released so no more problems moving forward.

The Visual Studio LightSwitch Marketplace

http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com

Sunday, April 7, 2013 1:21 PM
  • thanks Michael, i feel little better knowing that this things happens to all of us..

by looking this connect bug and this thread, another ctp4 project didn't have this issue so i assumed that it didn't have connection with azure tools june2012 sp1 installation..

few facedesks later and after doing a little maintenance with ccleaner, i simply tried to switch from oob app to web app (in project properties), and suddenly publish dialog appeared! after publishing web app, i returned settings to oob app to see if this works, and it did.. don't know what happened, but it seems that "something" settled on its place, and now it works.. murphy waits for next round.. :)

Kivito

• Marked as answer by Kivito Sunday, April 7, 2013 3:38 PM
    Sunday, April 7, 2013 3:38 PM
  • With a high level tool like LightSwitch that does not expose or leaves undocumented the lower layers, it is helpful to run it in a virtual machine so that you can snapshot the settings when it works well.  In the CTP4, my IDE debugging did not work, depending on how I had set the browser type when using Visual Studio to develop an ASP.NET MVC application (this took me quite awhile to figure out the correlation).  So to preserve IDE settings, and such it really is mandatory to snapshot the entire VM.

Otherwise, I have taken to checking in everything every meaningful change into Git.  It is nice to revert back to a known good point when LightSwitch mysteriously starts misbehaving.

-- David

Efficiently read and post to forums with newsreaders: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com
    Monday, April 8, 2013 3:49 PM