How to use Inter-Process-Communicate between Metro Style App and desktop app ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am wondering how to transfer data from a desktop app to a metro style app.

I used a desktop app to operate hardware and another app as the UI to display result. Data is transfer to UI by IPC.

I Win 8, I would like the UI to be a metro style app. The question is how to transfer data from desktop to the metro style app.

My desktop app is large and not likely to implement those function in a metro style app.

As described in this thread, ordinary IPC like SOCKET/Pipe/ShareMemory could not be used in metro style any more.

WCF could be a way, but Metro style app could only work as the client and not suitable for my case,

for data is transfer to UI frequently.

So I am wondering is there a solution for this case ?

Or does Microsoft provide a solution for this case ?

Thanks

Friday, October 28, 2011 8:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Cary,

You will need to move communication to a WebService to be able to communicate between the two applications.  If you do not desire to do this, you could simply move the UI to another Desktop application that uses the Metro design principles.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Friday, October 28, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

I've heard Metro app would block accessing to local-host address (network isolation).  Wouldn't this prevent the Metro app from access the WebService running on the same system?  If not, can you describe this architecture a bit more?

Also, is there an article that describes the different IPC mechanism that we can use in a Metro app?

-CM

Coder
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Hi CM,

That is correct, you cannot access a WebService on the same machine.  The WebService would need to be external to the machine (that is the architecture I am proposing here).  In Metro you cannot use IPC except with Metro Style applications that are in the same package.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:11 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

Thanks a lot for you reply.

As refered in this thread, only WCF client is ported to Metro Style. So WCF could not meet my requirement of my case.

What do you mean by Desktop applicatoin that uses the Metro design principle ?

Do you mean a Desktop app with UI looks like Metro Style app ?

Thanks

Cary

• Edited by Cary_Win8 Friday, November 4, 2011 1:48 AM spelling error.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:49 AM
  • Hi Cary,

I am glad WCF client will do what you want.  Yes, I was thinking you could use the Metro design guidelines to make a desktop app similar in appearance.  The Metro style is not new to Metro Style applications in Windows 8.  You can see Metro style in Windows phone 7 and Windows Surface.  If you like that look and feel, why not do something similar for your desktop application?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:50 AM