How to Add More Prerequisites RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Visual Studio Installer project in VS2015. Be default I can only find the Visual C++ 14 Runtime Libraries as prerequisites but not older versions. There is a link "Check Microsoft update for more redistributable components" but that just brings me to a generic Microsoft page. I searched the forums and couldn't really find anything either. How do I add older runtime, e.g. v9 and 10?
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:21 PM

Answers

• Creating bootstrapper packages might be necessary for certain libraries. It seems more cumbersome though when trying to work on the same project on a different development system. In my case, it turns out, I just needed the msm files. Apparently, one can't download them from Microsoft. Instead, I had to install the relevant Visual Studio versions (just the compile tools) which then installed them in c:\program files(x86)\Common Files\MergeModules.  I think/hope that I can simply copy the msm files that I need and include them in my code repository so when another development system is being used, then not all the compile tools from different Visual Studio versions need to be installed.
    • Proposed as answer by Bob Ding Friday, March 17, 2017 2:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by hulamula Friday, August 11, 2017 2:51 PM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:20 PM

All replies

•  Hi,

Every prerequisite is a bootstrapper package, if the bootstrapper package what you want is not included in the prerequisites dialog box, you can create custom packages into prerequisites dialog box.  See :Creating Bootstrapper Packages  . You have to create bootstrapper's product manifest and package manifest into the bootstrapper folder with the specified file structure.

About how to create bootstrapper's product manifest and package manifest please refer the following two MSDN articles.

How to: Create a Product Manifest

How to: Create a Package Manifest

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Best Regards,

Bob

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Bob Ding Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bob Ding Monday, March 13, 2017 5:36 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Bob Ding Monday, March 13, 2017 5:36 AM
    Friday, March 3, 2017 9:50 AM
  • Creating bootstrapper packages might be necessary for certain libraries. It seems more cumbersome though when trying to work on the same project on a different development system. In my case, it turns out, I just needed the msm files. Apparently, one can't download them from Microsoft. Instead, I had to install the relevant Visual Studio versions (just the compile tools) which then installed them in c:\program files(x86)\Common Files\MergeModules.  I think/hope that I can simply copy the msm files that I need and include them in my code repository so when another development system is being used, then not all the compile tools from different Visual Studio versions need to be installed.
    • Proposed as answer by Bob Ding Friday, March 17, 2017 2:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by hulamula Friday, August 11, 2017 2:51 PM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

An alternative to adding a launch condition is to use the bootstrapper to install Visual C++ 14 Runtime Librarie as a prerequisite on the target computer. I think this is more humanization, we don't want to see customer who can download our application but can not install our application since their computer is missing Visual C++ 14 Runtime, they must install the Visual C++ 14 Runtime manually before install our application.

Best Regards,

Bob

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Bob Ding Friday, March 17, 2017 6:02 AM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 3:38 AM