Create Task Item based on Current Item -- calculating Due Date RRS feed

• Question

• Hi --

I'm on WSS 3.0 and using SharePoint Designer to create workflows. I'm fairly new to workflows so I'm having trouble figuring out how to accomplish what I would think is a simple task.

I need to have a workflow associated with a Task list which does the following:  When the user creates a task with a certain title, a series of other tasks gets created which have due dates backdated from the due date on the original item.  So, for example, the user creates a task called "New Employee Training" with a due date of  2/28/09.  The workflow should then create a series of additional tasks with various due dates -- for example, "Prepare handouts" with a due date of - 3 days from the "New Employee Training" due date.

I have no problem with setting the condition or creating a general "Create list item" action, my trouble comes in with calculating those due dates. I know I could have calculated fields in the task list itself, but that seems messy and the calculations are only needed on the primary task. I'd rather have the calculations happen in the workflow ... possible?  How?

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:03 PM

Answers

• TLFerrell said:

Hi --

I'm on WSS 3.0 and using SharePoint Designer to create workflows. I'm fairly new to workflows so I'm having trouble figuring out how to accomplish what I would think is a simple task.

I need to have a workflow associated with a Task list which does the following:  When the user creates a task with a certain title, a series of other tasks gets created which have due dates backdated from the due date on the original item.  So, for example, the user creates a task called "New Employee Training" with a due date of  2/28/09.  The workflow should then create a series of additional tasks with various due dates -- for example, "Prepare handouts" with a due date of - 3 days from the "New Employee Training" due date.

I have no problem with setting the condition or creating a general "Create list item" action, my trouble comes in with calculating those due dates. I know I could have calculated fields in the task list itself, but that seems messy and the calculations are only needed on the primary task. I'd rather have the calculations happen in the workflow ... possible?  How?

Thanks!

You can use the Add Time to Date action (under More Actions) to add an amount of minutes (use a minus sign to subtract an amount of minutes) to the Due Date of the new item. Use a variable to store the result of this calculation. Then immediately beneath that action, add your Create List Item action and set the Due Date of the new item to the variable you stored previously. You can find the variable listed under Workflow Data when you click on the function button on the Value Assignment dialog box to open the Define Workflow Lookup dialog box (it's listed in the Source drop-down).

If you need more instructions, let me know.

DocMgmtWFInfo

• Marked as answer by TLFerrell Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:30 PM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:22 AM

All replies

• TLFerrell said:

Hi --

Thanks!

You can use the Add Time to Date action (under More Actions) to add an amount of minutes (use a minus sign to subtract an amount of minutes) to the Due Date of the new item. Use a variable to store the result of this calculation. Then immediately beneath that action, add your Create List Item action and set the Due Date of the new item to the variable you stored previously. You can find the variable listed under Workflow Data when you click on the function button on the Value Assignment dialog box to open the Define Workflow Lookup dialog box (it's listed in the Source drop-down).

If you need more instructions, let me know.

DocMgmtWFInfo

• Marked as answer by TLFerrell Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:30 PM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:22 AM
  • Thank you!!  Worked like a charm.  I appreciate it!
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:22 PM