none
Intercepting Online Meeting Lync button click RRS feed

• Question

• I am writing an add in that will modify the Body and subject of a lync online meeting.

Currently I am using the item send event and casting it to a meeting item to determine whether or not the item is a meeting.  I know one option I would have is to parse the body of the meeting item for a conference ID and link, but I am specifally being asked to catch the online meeting button click.

I would need to look for an event on Join Online Meeting button click, is there a way to track this event?

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:12 PM

Answers

• i do not think so. Ribbon extensibility in office was designed with one of the main targets being add-ins not interfering with each other, so i guess you will not be able to intercept that button, at least not using OOM. If i recall correctly, clicking this button actually causes whole window to reload (maybe old one closes and new is created). Please verify this and see if this could be your starting point.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:56 PM
  • you can check UserProperties - for lync meetings there should be UCOpenedConferenceID. As for periodic checking - sure you can do this but maybe there is no need for such approach? maybe acting on ItemSend event is sufficient?
    • Marked as answer by ychro Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:20 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:16 AM

All replies

• i do not think so. Ribbon extensibility in office was designed with one of the main targets being add-ins not interfering with each other, so i guess you will not be able to intercept that button, at least not using OOM. If i recall correctly, clicking this button actually causes whole window to reload (maybe old one closes and new is created). Please verify this and see if this could be your starting point.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:56 PM
  • It does not appear that the meeting item closes.  It does append the information to the body and the lync button changes to allow for meeting options.

Is it possible that I could run a loop that checks for a meeting window to be open and then if i see lync meeting info in the body I can assume that the button has been clicked? Would looping a check like this cause performance issues?

Any information on how this could be done would be appreciated.  I really just need to catch the meeting around the time it is opened and append some more information to it that lync does not add.

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:11 PM
  • you can check UserProperties - for lync meetings there should be UCOpenedConferenceID. As for periodic checking - sure you can do this but maybe there is no need for such approach? maybe acting on ItemSend event is sufficient?
    • Marked as answer by ychro Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:20 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:16 AM
  • Thanks for the help.

My original intent was to run on send event.  I am currently working on an on load event and then if event is an appointment item I will loop until i notice the conference ID.  I am going to pitch both solutions and push toward the onsend event.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:24 PM