none
Bing Maps REST Routing API returns 404 error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We noticed an issue with the Bing Maps REST Routing API with the basic key. Since yesterday (15.07.2020) it returns the 404 error for some routes. This issue can be reproduced with the following coordinates:
    StartLocation = {48.86591, 2.352744}
    TargetLocation = {48.8609665, 2.3482193}
    http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/V1/Routes/Driving?key=YOURKEY&output=xml&culture=fr-FR&waypoint.1=48.86591,2.352744&waypoint.2=48.8609665,2.3482193&routeattributes=routePath&distanceunit=Kilometer&optimize=Time

Replacing YOURKEY with the basic API key, you can see, this link returns the 404 error. Error details give the following message: No route was found for the waypoints provided.

However, if I try to find route by these coordinates using the bing.com/maps site, it is constructed.

So I am wondering: did something changed either with the basic API keys policy or with the routing engine in the recent past?

Thursday, July 16, 2020 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Denis,

I have logged this issue with the Bing Maps routing team.  Have you tried this using addresses rather than lat/long?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, July 16, 2020 10:17 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Denis,

I do not know your scenario but Azure Maps (https://azuremapscodesamples.azurewebsites.net/) is finding a route in this case as shown here:

If you are an Azure customer, Azure maps might be a good option for you.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, July 16, 2020 10:39 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

We use the Bing Maps REST API to calculate routes between waypoints: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/bingmaps/rest-services/routes/calculate-a-route . Azure maps is not an option for us, since we use WinForms wrapper over REST API.

These particular lat/longs are geocoded to the following addresses:
    88 Boulevard de Sébastopol, 75003 Paris
    12 Rue Berger, 75001 Paris
    However, geographic coordinates of these addresses are slightly moved:
    48.8658774, 2.3525643 instead of 48.86591, 2.352744
    48.8609665, 2.3482193 instead of 48.8609665, 2.3482193

If I try to get route between these geocoded addresses, everything is calculated correctly. If I search route using the obtained geographic coordinates, still the 404 error returned. So it seems, route calculation only between geographic points is affected.

Thank you!

Best regards,
    Denis

Friday, July 17, 2020 1:03 PM
  • Hi Denis,

The message is telling you the problem.  When Geocoding you can either take the building center or the street side coordinate.  For routing, the street side coordinate is used as it can not route the vehicle to a waypoint that is within the center of a building.  Sending the building center co-ordinate will give the error that one or more of the waypoints are not routable, which is what is being returned in this case.

See the Microsoft address sample at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/bingmaps/rest-services/locations/find-a-location-by-address result:

<GeocodePoint>  
                <Latitude>47.640120461583138</Latitude>  
                <Longitude>-122.12971039116383</Longitude>  
                <CalculationMethod>InterpolationOffset</CalculationMethod>  
                <UsageType>Display</UsageType>  
    </GeocodePoint>  
    <GeocodePoint>  
                <Latitude>47.640144601464272</Latitude>  
                <Longitude>-122.12976671755314</Longitude>  
                <CalculationMethod>Interpolation</CalculationMethod>  
                <UsageType>Route</UsageType>  
    </GeocodePoint>

Please pay attention to the "Usage Type" as you will want to use "route" rather than "display".

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, July 17, 2020 4:45 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Thank you for your explanation. Now I understand how it works. However, two things are still unclear for me.
    1. We have never had this kind of error earlier: all the routes were calculated independently on whether addresses or geopoints were used as waypoints. So did something changed with the route calculation logic on your side in the recent past?
    2. I have not found it in the sample you referenced. I would like to obtain the location with the Route as the UsageType only. Is it possible to find location by address with the required UsageType?

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Denis

Monday, July 20, 2020 9:24 AM
  • Hi Denis,

The link to the sample in the docs is right above the result in my prior answer.  I have asked the routing team if they have tightened their tolerances recently but the putting the lat lon on a map clearly shows it is not in a routable location. It is deep within a building rather than streetside.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, July 20, 2020 9:42 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Thank you for the clarification. I understand these coordinates are not suitable for route construction.
    However I have just one more question in this regard.
    In one of your previous posts you mentioned Azure Maps are able to build the route through these locations. I see bing.com/maps also constructs such a route. In testing purposes I have copied the BingKey sent by this site to the route calculation engine and pasted it in the http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/V1/Routes/Driving?key=YOURKEY&output=xml&culture=fr-FR&waypoint.1=48.86591,2.352744&waypoint.2=48.8609665,2.3482193&routeattributes=routePath&distanceunit=Kilometer&optimize=Time link. And I see, the resulted xml contains correct route, despite of these coordinates are not in a routable locations. So I guess, the coordinates are internally moved to the routable locations.
    Maybe is it a matter of a basic Bing Key? Did something changed with the developer key policies?

Best regards,
    Denis

• Edited by Denis Psh Tuesday, July 21, 2020 10:08 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2020 10:07 AM
  • Hi Denis,

There is a big difference between what a consumer needs and what say for example, a delivery truck needs.  The Consumer site gives a very different route than what you would need in an Enterprise scenario.  That being said, I have let the team know that in your case the Consumer site does find a route while the Enterprise call does not.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl 

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 4:03 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

Roger that. Thank you a lot for your support, IoTGirl!

Best regards,
    Denis

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any news from the team?

We have found another pair of addresses that aren't processed by Routing REST API:
    4 RUE BOILEAU 44000 - NANTES
    5 PLACE ROYALE 44000 - NANTES
    Geocode REST API returns the following route locations for them respectively:
    47.2144406992854, -1.56051286876551
    47.2145827865769, -1.55861674336988
    However, it is impossible to use the Routing REST API neither with these addresses, nor with these locations: in both cases the 404 error is returned.

I see the bing.com/maps site operates differently in this case: it returns the route between addresses, but it does not return the route between locations.

So, how to find the route using the REST API between these points?

Best regards,
    Denis

• Edited by Denis Psh Wednesday, August 5, 2020 5:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2020 3:58 PM
  • Hi Denis,

I don't have an update from the team but I have added your latest co-ordinates to the existing request.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, August 5, 2020 10:48 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Denis,

I have an update!  The 404 results are due to the introduction of common city turn restrictions which are, unexpectedly, making some locations un-routable.  Based on your experience, the team has done a deep dive into all 404 responses returned in the last week and will review why the addition of what should be common road restrictions has blocked route creation in some locations and not others.

Please know that significant testing is done before data updates are released and the team will be adding to the test suite based on this experience.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 5:18 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Denis, 

A fix for the turn restriction issue was deployed last week and should be live in all Maps Datacenters.  Are you still seeing this issue? If so, can you provide more samples?

Sincere thanks,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 8:40 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Denis, IotGirl,

I apologize for replying to an existing thread a few weeks old, but I think I encountered the same (not resolved) issue. IotGirl, your last message about the issue being fixed does not seem to help, and the case reported by Denis really sound familiar to me.

I too started noticing issues with the REST API and some locations in France no longer being processed by the API resulting in a 404 error. Errors seemed to appear this summer although I couldn't get a precise starting date.

However in my case, the bing.com/maps website also return the same kind of error. The exact error message in French on the website reads "Impossible de trouver des itinéraires pour ce voyage. Vérifiez l’emplacement des points de repère et les options d’itinéraire, puis réessayez.". Which looks like a lot the REST API 404 error message "No route was found for the waypoints provided."

In my troubleshooting, I tried with GPS points or street adresses (reversed geocoded with Bing maps) with no luck.

Here is a set of coordinates for which a route is not calculated by the REST API neither by the Bing Maps site:

To: 43.119571, 5.935816

And this the traceId of a resulting error from today (France timezone) if it can help tech teams to look at it:
    3af26378a8404873bb1602ba9ad93e74|BN00002090|0.0.0.0|BN00001859, BN0000376F

Any chance that the issue could relate to the one from Denis? In which case at the time of this post this is not resolved.

Regards,

-- Bastien

Tuesday, September 8, 2020 6:26 PM
  • Hi Bastien,

Do you have related addresses or businesses you started with? I am able to get the route one way but not the other... Try  https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=93e455e2-afb7-4058-88bf-b9b0afba78f1&cp=43.123761~5.886122&lvl=14&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027 and then reverse and see the failure.  I have escalated this as routable one way and not the other with the routing team.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, September 9, 2020 5:30 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Thanks for the reply. My end user started with an actual address which was reverse geocoded (through the Bing Maps API) and shown on a map. In which case the usageType parameter might have helped. But I can't confirm that the pin point wasn't moved manually by the user after that.

I tried your your link and it ended up with no result. The map is correctly centered on the area but without any waypoints. However I can confirm reversing the coordinates for the itinerary work. I think I already tried that a few days ago without success, but I probably forgot to actually test it. The good news is that might be an acceptable temporary workaround in my case.

Let me know if I can provide more information.

Regards,

-- Bastien

Thursday, September 10, 2020 9:14 AM
  • Hi Bastien,

My apology for the late reply but I now have an update. We are getting a new data drop with a further fix for some un-routable routes but as this is a large drop, it is not expected to be complete until November.  If you have a specific location that is causing an issue I can raise awareness but I can confirm that this scenario is being viewed as a class of issues rather than as a single instance as initially discussed.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, October 8, 2020 6:22 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure I can pinpoint specific locations as we have a lots of route calculations going on on a daily basis, and we would probably end up spending our time replying to each other in this thread.

We'll wait for the data update. In the meantime, I'll check with my support team if they can confirm issues get progressively resolved through October.

Of course, if you can hint your colleagues to start the data update with France, that would be nice :) Anyway, good luck with the update process.

Regards,

-- Bastien

Friday, October 9, 2020 7:22 AM
  • Hi Bastien,

I can confirm that I have given a number of failed routes through Paris in the base case so France is definitely included. 

UPDATE: A full data refresh is coming in November which should include both the multiple hotfixes done for the individual routes so far but also a realignment to fix the larger issue all up.  It is running through our testing framework now but as it is a worldwide refresh it does take a significant amount of time to process and validate, hence the expectation of a November release.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, October 12, 2020 4:23 PM
    Owner