none
Active Directory is unavailable. Try again later. RRS feed

• Question

• Every day at the same time (around 5pm UTC+1) I get this message (ErrorADUnavailable - Active Directory is unavailable. Try again later.) as a response to requests going to Office 365. This also makes my subscriptions fail as no requests can go through. On MSDN it says that this means that Active Directory is unavailable and to just try the request later, and that is obviously not very helpful. I can not find any other mention of this anywhere else. What can I do about this, any ideas?
    Saturday, November 5, 2016 11:24 AM

All replies

• The error means what it says, the server is reporting that at that time AD is inaccessible which means the Mailbox is also inaccessible and you should retry the operation. Generally these errors are just transient errors and if you wait max 60 seconds and retry the operation it will be okay. You can't fix these type of errors (they are server side) the only option is to respond to them, Eg in production against Office365 I've seen that error as well other errors that are generated when Mailbox failover (and then failback) between datacentres which also causes the subscription to become invalid, other errors relating to Information Store being shutdown,  there is a generalized Transient Mailbox error that gets returned as well as just a good old 501 error which gives you no detail as to what has happened. With Streaming notifications (but this also applies to Push and Pull) if your running them 24 hours a day this means your code is going to hit these errors as a matter of course so needs to written in a way to recover which means retrying in the first instance and for some errors eg if the Mailbox has moved because of servicing on the Backend you may need to recreate the subscription (you will get specific errors that tell you if that is needed)

Cheers
    Glen

Monday, November 7, 2016 3:23 AM
  • This clears up a lot, thank you for the explanation Glen!

Monday, November 7, 2016 7:20 AM