Uploading files and nothing will display after the lettter W? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This is a weird problem I've never noticed in 10 years.  I am using Microsoft Expression Web 4.  I am uploading new files to my website, which go right through and are displayed correctly, however. none of the files  beginning with the letter "W" or x,y z, are visible in the display.  I can put up any file that begins with other letters and they come up.  My web hosting company thinks maybe Expression Web can only display so many files and it's cutting off the last part of the alphabet.  The files are up on the webpage, they just won't display so I can't back up those files to other computers.  Any thoughts on what is going on and how I can get all files to display?

Thanks.    Pilotodroneo

Sunday, January 17, 2016 12:02 AM

All replies

• Please explain far more clearly what you mean.   Displaying a file ... how?  What do you mean by "in the display"?

Do you mean the list of files in publishing view, on the hosting side?  If so, that's not limited by EW, but may be limited by your host's FTP settings.

Usually the limit is quite high (2,000 files, in the example below), and would never be hit because normal site organization would involve organizing files into folders long before that number was reached, not putting that many files all in one folder.  If you do have a very large number of files in one level, your host's FTP display limit may be what you are running into.

Here is an example for one hosting company: http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/general-server-setup/incrrease-file-display-limit .  Ask your hosting company if they have something similar.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, January 19, 2016 6:35 PM
    Sunday, January 17, 2016 12:50 AM
  • is there no scrollbar in the remote site view?

Expression Web MVP

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:24 PM
  • We have a flurry of recent questions where the OP never returns...

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

Friday, January 22, 2016 5:58 PM
  • Quite possible that they are just an "Oops" moment.

I thought this one was.

Expression Web MVP

Thursday, January 28, 2016 6:55 PM