Unable to create folder...new site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I don't remember for the life of me how to resolve this issue but for some reason Expressionweb 2 cannot make new websites due to an error: Unable to create folder

When I click on NEW | WEBSITE | EMPTY WEB SITE

It doesn't matter which I choose I get the same error.

I know you folks will direct me as I can't remember how to resolve this error other than uninstalling and reinstalling.

Thanks to all,

Owen
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:32 AM

Answers

• Ogger said:

Hi,

I don't remember for the life of me how to resolve this issue but for some reason Expressionweb 2 cannot make new websites due to an error: Unable to create folder

I know you folks will direct me as I can't remember how to resolve this error other than uninstalling and reinstalling.

Thanks to all,

Owen

Purely a guess, given the information available, but is the underlying physical folder marked read-only for some reason? Are you trying to create this is as a disk-based site on the hard drive? I don't use Vista, but I understand that it has a number of security provisions not available in earlier Windows versions. Have you checked permissions for the folder to ensure that EW has the right to create/modify?

Like I said, just guessing at this point.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

• Edited by paladyn Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:40 AM ....
    • Marked as answer by Lori DirksModerator Monday, November 24, 2008 5:27 AM
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:40 AM
  • I can't imagine why this has changed but I have tried the permissions and gave full control even though my account is Administrator, I changed the folder to not be READ-ONLY and still no change.

I had this issue years ago with Frontpage and can't find the info on how i solved it :)

Getting old, my memory is fading quickly...LOL....my mind I miss the most.

Thanks for your help anyway,

Owen
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:24 PM

All replies

• Ogger said:

Hi,

Thanks to all,

Owen

Purely a guess, given the information available, but is the underlying physical folder marked read-only for some reason? Are you trying to create this is as a disk-based site on the hard drive? I don't use Vista, but I understand that it has a number of security provisions not available in earlier Windows versions. Have you checked permissions for the folder to ensure that EW has the right to create/modify?

Like I said, just guessing at this point.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

• Edited by paladyn Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:40 AM ....
    • Marked as answer by Lori DirksModerator Monday, November 24, 2008 5:27 AM
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:40 AM
  • Hi Scott,

Yes it is disk-based on Vista, it was working fine as I run IIS 7 on this development machine and figured something was changed but I'm the only one who uses this machine and I haven't changed anything.

The wwwroot folder is infact read-only but it should be I believe.

Anyway, its not an overly complicated setup...Vista running IIS7, PHP and of course Expressionweb 2.

Thanks,

Owen 
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:28 AM
  • Ogger said:

Hi Scott,

Yes it is disk-based on Vista, it was working fine as I run IIS 7 on this development machine and figured something was changed but I'm the only one who uses this machine and I haven't changed anything.

The wwwroot folder is infact read-only but it should be I believe.

Anyway, its not an overly complicated setup...Vista running IIS7, PHP and of course Expressionweb 2.

Thanks,

Owen 

Hmm, I really don't think that's right. How would you be able to modify your site if it is read-only? Maybe this discussion is germane... http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s=a310ad90b9e0862c893be3caf25e5b45&showtopic=515367&pid=588083145&st=0&#entry588083145.

If the wwwroot folder is read-only, that permission cascades down to folders in its heirarchy, precluding creating new resources or modifying existing resources. I could be wrong; it's been known to happen. But I think you should try allowing create and write permissions and see if that addresses the EW issue. If so, and nothing blows up as a result, well... ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:40 AM
  • Working in the IIS structure is something that Expression doesn't do very well.

Having said that it does indeed sound like a permission issue. Your user account must have write permissions on the site through the file system c:/inetpub/wwwroot (or whatever your local path is). Read only should be set for pages access through the server http://
    MS MVP Expression http://by-expression.com
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 2:06 PM
  • I can't imagine why this has changed but I have tried the permissions and gave full control even though my account is Administrator, I changed the folder to not be READ-ONLY and still no change.

I had this issue years ago with Frontpage and can't find the info on how i solved it :)

Getting old, my memory is fading quickly...LOL....my mind I miss the most.

Thanks for your help anyway,

Owen
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Also, I have uninstalled Expressionweb2 in hopes that the problem may just be application related but alas it did not solve the problem. I have changed the permissions and the like but no change there.

I may try uninstalling IIS after backing up sites to see what happens there. I'm still looking for my old frontpage solution to this problem back in the day.

Later,

Owen
    Sunday, August 10, 2008 4:09 PM