Which Database to Use IndexedDB or Sqlite?

Question

• Hi All,

I have fairly  simple question which Database should I use IndexedDB or the Sqlite

Below is the scenario

1. In my the Database is accessed by  more than workers.Hence I am facing concurrency issue with Sqlite.

Should I switch to IndexedDB or Continue with Sqlite?

Thank You

Ashwin Bhanushali

Monday, October 28, 2013 2:29 PM

Answers

• Be aware that IndexedDB has data limitations, specifically 250MB per app and an overall limit of 375MB on < 32GB drives and 4% (up to 20GB) on > 32GB drives. SQLite does not have per-app or system limits other than available storage.

Monday, October 28, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Your question is a little loaded and hard to answer with the very limited amount of information. Basically your're going to a preference question.

With that being said here is my advice:

1. What benefit do you see by switching database? Will this just fix one issue but make something else harder?
    2. If you are already using Sqllite, you already have done some investing in the DB, therefore can you restructure your design to resolve this issue i.e. always insert rather then update or are you unnecessarily locking a row/table/etc..., use a queing mechanism?

Without knowing how you are actually using it and what the exact problem is I can only offer advice(I do not want a whole dump of your code and DB structure). Sometimes switching technologies isn't the right answer. It may some one problem but can cause other problems. For example, I used a NoSQL database that made by server side inserting really easy but when I want to analysis the data it was a lot more complicated.  Sometime you have to look at your design and do it a different way.

Thanks,

Brad

Monday, October 28, 2013 3:12 PM

All replies

• Your question is a little loaded and hard to answer with the very limited amount of information. Basically your're going to a preference question.

With that being said here is my advice:

1. What benefit do you see by switching database? Will this just fix one issue but make something else harder?
    2. If you are already using Sqllite, you already have done some investing in the DB, therefore can you restructure your design to resolve this issue i.e. always insert rather then update or are you unnecessarily locking a row/table/etc..., use a queing mechanism?

Without knowing how you are actually using it and what the exact problem is I can only offer advice(I do not want a whole dump of your code and DB structure). Sometimes switching technologies isn't the right answer. It may some one problem but can cause other problems. For example, I used a NoSQL database that made by server side inserting really easy but when I want to analysis the data it was a lot more complicated.  Sometime you have to look at your design and do it a different way.

Thanks,

Brad

Monday, October 28, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Be aware that IndexedDB has data limitations, specifically 250MB per app and an overall limit of 375MB on < 32GB drives and 4% (up to 20GB) on > 32GB drives. SQLite does not have per-app or system limits other than available storage.

Monday, October 28, 2013 4:28 PM