Is sharepoint is useful if there is no collaboration environment RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know  is there any use of making a site if there will be no collaboration environment in it and nor it will deal with documents.  It only needs webparts and some pages on which web parts will reside. It will be open to internet users.

Your expertise suggestion will be very useful as I I have to give some strong comments why  we cannot use share point.

Correct me if I am wrong

Ashish
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:10 AM

Answers

• The basic advantage of going with SharePoint is it gives you all basic building blocks to create a site. Collboratoin and documents are an important part of SharePoint platform but I would they are not only the part. It comes with so much other functionality that can be used with building the site.

As an example you can use build in security of SharePoint. You dont need to create your own DB to store info. So what I am trying to say you can build many functionality with ASP.net or other technologies but they will really take time. BTW if you like to see the comparision between ASP.net and SharePoint I tried to summarize some points on

http://manish-sharepoint.blogspot.com/2008/05/comparing-sharepoint-server-with-aspnet.html

hope this helps you.

Manish

http://manish-sharepoint.blogspot.com

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:47 AM
  • While concurring with Manish, i would like to say that you can use sharepoint as a document repository with all the check-in, check-out and versioning features of the document libraries and SharePoint lists. Also features like reporting, business intelligence are all different part and parcel of SharePoint.

Depends on how you want to function your SharePoint installation.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Ashish,

It sounds like a static web page would work just as well as sharepoint.  However you could use Sharepoint, you just would not be utilizing all of the features.

-matt

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:44 AM
  • The basic advantage of going with SharePoint is it gives you all basic building blocks to create a site. Collboratoin and documents are an important part of SharePoint platform but I would they are not only the part. It comes with so much other functionality that can be used with building the site.

As an example you can use build in security of SharePoint. You dont need to create your own DB to store info. So what I am trying to say you can build many functionality with ASP.net or other technologies but they will really take time. BTW if you like to see the comparision between ASP.net and SharePoint I tried to summarize some points on

http://manish-sharepoint.blogspot.com/2008/05/comparing-sharepoint-server-with-aspnet.html

hope this helps you.

Manish

http://manish-sharepoint.blogspot.com

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:47 AM
  • While concurring with Manish, i would like to say that you can use sharepoint as a document repository with all the check-in, check-out and versioning features of the document libraries and SharePoint lists. Also features like reporting, business intelligence are all different part and parcel of SharePoint.

Depends on how you want to function your SharePoint installation.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:08 AM
  • Manish thats the problem. Even though Sharepoint gives you lot of things already built in but customizing them is not easy. I wnt through your post, a nice one. If the database and customization is not in my hand the project get stucks with the technology. In case If i want to initgrate this with any other technology it would be difficult.

Moreover say in future i want to upgrade the site to some other technology it would be difficult. Even though building web parts from scratch takes time but its more on your hand.

Sharepoint is suited to an environment where there are documents, collaboration and things similar to that. Its like an enterprise solution

Thanks to all of you people who pointed me to a right direction

Ashish
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:47 AM