none
SQL Database over Network and Internet. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been developing a client/server application for a while now, I relise that its probably too late to make any serious changes as the ones I'd like to discuss here, but I'd like the communities input on this for future projects.

My current project involves a Gas Maintenance System, where contact centre staff log breakdowns etc and assign visits to the engineers, the engineers complete electronic forms through tablet pc's when they are on site.  I have set this up with 2 different Client applications (Contact Centre and Engineer) and a WCF Service appliacation on the SQL server.  Currently all communication over the network is through WCF, even the database record retrieval and submission.

What I'd like to know is, would there be anything wrong with just using the WCF service for things like User Authentication, Update Notifiications and Record Locking, and using Remote TCP connectionss direclty to the SQL server for local LAN (Contact centre) or both local LAN (Contact centre) and remotely connected clients (Engineers).

Would it be too much of a security concern if the SQL Server was accessible over the internet on a non-standard Port, with strong a username and password?

Many Thanks for any input to this.

Ben.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:22 PM

All replies

• WCF technology is mainly used for disturbed technology. Analyses in your application architecture , whether you need to use wcf technology. This analyis should be done at the architecture level.

Security featuers maily depends on the type of binding that you will in your future project. Select the binding that you want to use and analysis the security features that is provided by the binding.

Benwhite2008 said,

"What I'd like to know is, would there be anything wrong with just using the WCF service for things like User Authentication, Update Notifiications and Record Locking, and using Remote TCP connectionss direclty to the SQL server for local LAN (Contact centre) or both local LAN (Contact centre) and remotely connected clients (Engineers)."

If your thinking of use your local LAN network , you can think of the using of net.tcp binding. 

Please give more importance to wcf binding which determines major features that you mentioned in your query.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:01 PM
  • Thanks for the info Programmerlive.  I should have better summarised my first post.

What I guess I wanted to ask is that; Should WCF be used to transfer records to and from a database?
    From experiences with my current project I feel WCF is not suited well to acting as a go between for the Client and the Database.
    Is it possible to access the SQL server directly over an internet connection?  And better yet, is it reccomended?

Ben.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Thanks for the info Programmerlive.  I should have better summarised my first post.

What I guess I wanted to ask is that; Should WCF be used to transfer records to and from a database?
    From experiences with my current project I feel WCF is not suited well to acting as a go between for the Client and the Database.
    Is it possible to access the SQL server directly over an internet connection?  And better yet, is it reccomended?

Ben.

Would like to know this myself. We are developing a POS system that will be distributed across 50 sites and will get and store its data to/from a central MS SQL database. The communication will happen across the Internet so I am wondering if there are any reasons why we should use WCF instead of direct connections to the SQL Server (which we will of course secure)
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:50 PM