Windows XP Home Edition RRS feed

• Question

• According to the feature matrix for the various SQL Server 2005 editions, basic Reporting Services are available from the Express edition.

However, trying to access the Report Manager proves fruitless on Windows XP Home Edition, I suspect because IIS is not available on this edition of the operating system.

Can someone confirm this is the case, and if so, is there is an alternative way of accessing this feature, say for example through a configuration of Cassini?

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Thursday, November 10, 2005 11:11 PM

All replies

• Although Microsoft doesnt support installing IIS on Home Editions there are lots of links around that show it can be done.
    Just search for it on the web and a plethora of links will appear.
    I never tried it and neither recommend that you do it or don't. Just saying that it is possible.

ps: Indeed you need IIS for Reporting Services to work.
    Requirements: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/technologies/reporting/system-requirements.mspx

Good luck with it.
    Alan

Friday, November 11, 2005 12:13 AM
  • I can't believe ms is really going to include full blown reporting services in express edition.  However, you can embed reports directly into vb.net/c# applications and render them locally without reporting services.
    Friday, November 11, 2005 1:41 AM