none
Visual Studio Data Lake Tools / Extension crashes Visual Studio 2015(.2)

Question

• Good morning,

I am not sure whether this is the right place, but I noticed a VS-crashing bug in what seems to be related to the Data Lake extension inside Visual Studio:

When having a Solution with one or more c# project(s) open and I right-click a project, there's a new entry there (as of Update 2 of VS2015) titled 'Register Assembly' - with no tooltip or anything that would indicate what it really does.

When I click on it a for a brief moment there's an Error Message Box shown which disappears by itself after less than a second and a Microsoft account Sign-In Dialog appears.

However, as I don't know what this 'Register Assembly' even is supposed to do, I closed it via the 'X' in the upper right corner and then VS again displays an Error Message box for about half a second and just crashes (without me clicking the 'Ok' button).

I tried a couple times to see / capture what that later Message box said and well it's

"We are really sorry but the application failed due to an unexpected error! Please report this failure to us.

C:\Users\joerg\AppData\Local\Temp\DataLakeTemp\datalake_bug_45072"

So I assumed that 'Register Assembly' entry in the context menu IS related to the Data Lake tooling in VS but here comes the kicker - I cannot Disable or Uninstall the Extension in VS - both Uninstall and Disable are greyed out.

I wouldn't care if the 'Register Assembly' context menu entry wasn't placed so prominently at the very end of the context menu, where mere 'Properties' used to be and muscle-memory always navigates to that place and I tend to click it (and then crash VS again).

Not being able to disable unused / unwanted functionality is quite annoying.

So whoever may care, I can provide that aforementioned datalake_bug_45072 directory and its content and can only encourage to place that 'Register Assembly' entry in the context menu somewhere less prominently, provide a tooltip for it AND allow users to disable it / the extension entirely.

Thanks,

-J

Monday, April 18, 2016 9:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for reaching to us and really sorry for putting this entry for any C# projects. As a temporary workaround, you can go to Program and Files (in Windows) and search "Azure Data Lake Tools for Visual Studio", and you can uninstall the plugin there (as we are using MSI installer so you cannot uninstall it from VS).

That "Register Assembly" button is for Data Lake users - and since we are integrating the Data Lake Tools for Visual Studio with Azure SDK which has a big installation base, it brings this confusion. We are sorry for this - and we will improve this further.

Sorry for the inconvenience - and if you have any questions, please do let us know.

Xiaoyong Zhu from Data Lake Team

• Marked as answer by jbattermann Monday, April 18, 2016 4:15 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2016 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for reaching to us and really sorry for putting this entry for any C# projects. As a temporary workaround, you can go to Program and Files (in Windows) and search "Azure Data Lake Tools for Visual Studio", and you can uninstall the plugin there (as we are using MSI installer so you cannot uninstall it from VS).

That "Register Assembly" button is for Data Lake users - and since we are integrating the Data Lake Tools for Visual Studio with Azure SDK which has a big installation base, it brings this confusion. We are sorry for this - and we will improve this further.

Sorry for the inconvenience - and if you have any questions, please do let us know.

Xiaoyong Zhu from Data Lake Team

• Marked as answer by jbattermann Monday, April 18, 2016 4:15 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2016 12:22 PM
  • Good evening and thanks for responding so quickly - I hadn't thought about removing it manually via 'Program and Features' but yeah.. this did not work indeed.

Thanks and all the best,

-Jörg B.

Monday, April 18, 2016 4:15 PM
  • What is *extremely* annoying, beyond crash, is that "Register Assembly" becomes the last menu entry at the very end of the context menu.

Traditionally the "Property" menu item is the last entry in the context menu and I really hate any changes to that.

TIA

Raffaele Rialdi [MVP] My articles and videos: http://www.iamraf.net Italian blog: http://blogs.ugidotnet.org/raffaele

Friday, September 23, 2016 12:31 PM