none
Embedded Lockdown Manager Unified Write Filter !Connection Error RRS feed

• Question

• I am working through the Windows Embedded Lockdown Features Exercise 601 in Sean Liming's book "Starter Guide for Windows System Image Manager".

When I run the ELM and click Unified Write Filter in the left pane, I get an warning dialog.

Title bar: "!Connection Error"

Warning Message: The Embedded Lockdown Manager MMC snap-in has encountered an unexpected loss of connection. Please wait while MMC shuts down and then restart MMC.

The top of the MMC Middle pane says "Not found" and there is a "Connect" button. Clicking it doesn't do anything.

There are no volumes listed in the middle pane.

My answer file specifies "c:" (without the quotes) as the Protected Volume Entry[DriveLetter="c:"]

The answer file volume is specified using lower case while the installed image has an upper case drive letter. Will that make a difference?

Software Hardware Systems

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:32 PM

All replies

• Is the target a virtual machine? If so, which one: VMware or VirtualBox?

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:59 PM
  • The target is a Dell E6430 x64 laptop.

Another thing I thought of since my original post is that I started with the EUFI amd64 example answer file from the WindowsADK samples. It creates four partitions during the WinPE phase.

I also tried changing the Binding to Loose and changed the protected volume to an upper case C: but I'm still getting the error message.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Not sure about sample answer files. Try with a clean answer file per the exercise and see if that solves the issue.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:54 AM
  • Mr. Liming,

I followed the example 601 exactly and the UWF works. I'll slowly add my unique changes back in and try to find out where it breaks.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:50 PM
  • So it is working? Your approach is good.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:15 PM
  • I've also seen this problem with the "The Embedded Lockdown Manager MMC snap-in has encountered an unexpected loss of connection. Please wait while MMC shuts down and then restart MMC." error message. Once it arises, the Embedded Lockdown Manager plugin for the MMC will no longer work. I've yet to identify a clear set of circumstances that causes it, as it seems to have arisen after UWF has been in operation for a while. Once it arises, there doesn't seem to be any straightforward way to fix it. Restarting MMC, or restarting the system doesn't help.
    Monday, December 22, 2014 3:14 PM