Visual Studio 2005 crashes when trying to add reference RRS feed

• Question

• This issue just started to happening and I have searched all over to find a solution without success.  I have seen other posts with a similar issue but none have a resolution.  Okay so here is the issue:

After I open visual studio (Visual Studio 2005 Professional w/SP1) and open a project, I right click on 'References' in the Solution Explorer and select, 'Add Reference'.  After clicking on 'Add Reference', the IDE crashes and I am asked to send an error report.  Here is what I have done so far to try to fix the issue:

1.  Reinstalled Visual Studio.

2.  Attempted to add a reference without SP1.

3.  Reinstalled SP1 and tried to add a reference.

4.  Ran Visual Studio in Safe Mode.

5.  Removed all add-ins.

6.  Tried to add a reference from the Project menu --> Add Reference.

Nothing is working.  Please give me any suggestions on how to fix this problem.  Also, there are two entries made the Application Event Log, which are the following:

Code Snippet

Bucket 341621942, bucket table 1, faulting application devenv.exe, version 8.0.50727.42, stamp 4333e699, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.163, stamp 44849dd9, debug? 0, fault address 0x00017273.

Code Snippet

Faulting application devenv.exe, version 8.0.50727.42, stamp 4333e699, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.163, stamp 44849dd9, debug? 0, fault address 0x00017273.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 1:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hope this link helps
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 4:44 AM
  • I had the same problem.  VS 2005 Pro crashed every time I tried to add a reference.  The dialogue would appear letting me select System.Data.OracleClient or another reference, but choosing OK on the dialogue resulted in a VS crash.  I checked-in my code to source control and checked it out on another older PC.  The other PC allowed me to add a reference with no problem.  I then realized the problem machine had another instance of Visual Studio open with a totally different solution loaded.  I closed the second instance of VS, re-opened my problem solution and was then finally able to add a reference with no problem.  Note: My problem solution was entirely VB.Net and the other open instance of VS had only C# code.  I'm only noting this because I see this post originates from the C# IDE forum.

Answer: If you can't add a reference in Visual Studio, first close any other open instances of Visual Studio and try again.  This may not relate directly to the original post, but I hope it helps others and alerts Microsoft to fix the problem.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 12:47 PM