none
NuiImageGetColorPixelCoordinatesFromDepthPixel and 640x480 images RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm coding a project that uses skeleton tracking, but also uses the players' pixels.

If I understand it correctly, it is not possible to initialize the depth frame at 640x480 and have skeleton tracking, right? But this means that when I use NuiImageGetColorPixelCoordinatesFromDepthPixel to get the users' pixels, the RGB frame gets effectively downsampled to 320x240.

Is there a way to have skeleton tracking _and_ 640x480 RGB information?

If not, does anybody have any ideas on how to circumvent this problem? Will be possible to have skeleton tracking and 640x480 depth frames in future versions of the sdk?

Thank you very much,

-k

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:45 PM

Answers

• The functionality of NuiImageGetColorPixelCoordinatesFromDepthPixel is completely independent of any image streams you open. This method actually only supports returning color pixel coordinates for 640x480 resolutions, and assumes that the depth-image space coordinates are specified relative to 320x240 resolution.

NUI_IMAGE_TYPE_DEPTH stream can be initialized to 640x480 resolution whether you use skeletal tracking or not. You're probably getting confused because the maximum resolution for NUI_IMAGE_TYPE_DEPTH_AND_PLAYER_INDEX stream is 320x240.

The NUI_IMAGE_TYPE_COLOR image stream can be used at 640x480 resolution no matter what the resolution you pick for depth stream.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:19 PM

All replies

• The functionality of NuiImageGetColorPixelCoordinatesFromDepthPixel is completely independent of any image streams you open. This method actually only supports returning color pixel coordinates for 640x480 resolutions, and assumes that the depth-image space coordinates are specified relative to 320x240 resolution.

NUI_IMAGE_TYPE_DEPTH stream can be initialized to 640x480 resolution whether you use skeletal tracking or not. You're probably getting confused because the maximum resolution for NUI_IMAGE_TYPE_DEPTH_AND_PLAYER_INDEX stream is 320x240.

The NUI_IMAGE_TYPE_COLOR image stream can be used at 640x480 resolution no matter what the resolution you pick for depth stream.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:19 PM
  • Hi Eddy,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that NUI_IMAGE_TYPE_DEPTH stream can be initialized to 640x480, but if I need to know which RGB pixel belongs to which user... so, if I am not mistaken, I am forced to use NUI_IMAGE_TYPE_DEPTH_AND_PLAYER_INDEX.

But, according to your reply, I am also constrained by NuiImageGetColorPixelCoordinatesFromDepthPixel's assumption of a 320x240 depth frame. 

It would be great if new versions of the SDK allow to extract the users' pixels and the skeleton at 640x480.

Thanks again,

-k

Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:00 AM
  • krahd,

Your feedback has been noted. Thanks.
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:29 AM