none
Localizing application with external satellite DLLs

Question

• Good day friends,

My team has been tasked to internationalize our app. The thing is we want to do this in such a way that translators cannot delay us; i.e. we should be able to deploy the app even if translations are not readily available. We also want to provide a means for translators to translate resources, and build those resources into satellite DLLs that the app can then pick up in real time.

So far, I have found that when the resources are created by a different app, and compiled using resgen and Al.exe, the app does not pick up the resources (even if the DLL is given the same name as the main app DLL) from simply dropping the external DLL into the right folder. Has anyone come across a scenario like this? Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks for your help.

The best things in life are free, but the most valuable ones are costly...use opportunities well for there are others, like you, who deserves them, but don't have them...

Monday, April 24, 2017 2:08 PM

All replies

• Hi talk2alie,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, you would like to refer to the following links.

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/5447/NET-Localization-using-Resource-file

The article talk about two ways of implementing and accessing resources that you can use and access from the current running assembly. The resource files should be added and administered from outside the scope of the running assembly and should not form a part of the assembly.

I hope this would be helpful.

Best Regards,

Wedy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:20 AM
  • Perhaps the assembly version does not match. SatelliteContractVersionAttribute could help with that.
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 6:39 PM