Windows 8 Developer and Touch Screen on Acer T231H

Question

• (read all previous questions and replies)

I have a new T231H to evaluate with Windows 8.

The Control Panel Devices shows the monitor "Acer T231H" and there is a separate device "T231" with a storage icon which means the USB connection is working. I can unplug and plugin the USB device and it disappears and re-appears showing the system recognizes it.

Tablet PC Settings - Display: AcerT231H, Touch input available

Calibrate: Digitizer Calibration Tool, To provide calibration samples, tap the crosshair... result is crosshairs do not respond to touch nor does screen respond to right mouse click, ESC is the only key that works.

the crosshairs appear in the upper left corner and lock - no amount of touching the screen causes them to move. Right clicking on the screen is futile - nothing happens.

The Acer driver for Win 7/64 does not install.

In a previous question specific to this monitor the responses indicate it works with proper drivers/usb connection.

Can you help me cross the bridge to functioning?

Thanks. Stephen Pate

• Edited by sdpate Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:56 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:45 PM

All replies

• Hello sdpate,

The only information I can suggest is to use the drivers in Compatibility mode for your Acer T231H.

You may be able to install drivers that are designed for other versions of Windows by using the compatibility troubleshooter.

You can try this troubleshooter by:
    Enter the Start screen
    Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    Select Search
    Type Compatibility
    Click Settings in the right column
    Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows
    Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver/drivers.

If that doesn't help, contact Acer to see if they have developed any new drivers for Windows Developer Preview.

Thanks,

Marilyn

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:09 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

The compatibility program is looking for executables exe msi files not ins files.

How do I get Win8 to search for drivers?

Some people in the previous thread said it worked automatically although another user was stuggling to make it function.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ar/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/f9cd5c2d-85de-4f2b-bae6-5bacd318f048

The predecessor model T230H is in the Windows 8 compatibility lab but it is discontinued with the new model being the T231H. One would assume MS was aware of this product since it is the most widely sold Touchscreen Win 7 compatible monitor other than the Planar Planar PX2230MW

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/experiencing-windows-8-touch-on-windows-7-hardware.aspx

Already tried the Acer new driver route and they don't have a published driver for Windows 8.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:42 PM
  • Hello sdpate, 

If you go into Device Manager, do you see the Acer T231H listed? Does it have a yellow exclamation point?
    Can you update the driver from there?

Since the Windows Consumer Preview will be coming out around the end of the month, I suggest you wait to see if they will provide an updated driver.
    Acer would be the ones that would furnish the driver for their Touchscreen products.

Thanks,

Marilyn

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:59 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Both the monitor and usb device show under "Devices and Printers"

The monitor is listed under "Tablet PC Settings" but fails to respond to "Setup" under "Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input"

The monitor does not show under Device Manager, where monitor shows as "Generic PNP Monitor" which will not accept the Acer Windows 7 driver.

I wish I could sit back and wait for the end of the month. I'm doing a media story on touchscreen monitors for Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Hoping to have a working touch screen monitor ready for review and publication on launch day is a luxury I'm not allowed. Old news is no news.

Surely someone at Microsoft knows whether this works and how, since it is in the Build Lab.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:50 AM
  • Hello sdpate,

your monitor drivers are available at  Downloads & Support Documents - T Series / T231H, you may select to download a driver for Windows7 and install it as directed by Marilyn.

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:56 AM to add
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Hello sdpate,

The driver on the link that Irfanfare gave is for Windows Vista. On the Acer website, it states the Windows 7 driver for the T231H is included with the operating system.
    I am doing some further research to see if I can find any other information.

Marilyn

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:03 PM
  • Hello sdpate,

I brought your question to some other folks.
    One thought was: On a HP TouchSmart Tx2z, they had to run the touch driver installer to extract it from the MSI and then run the extracted file in compatiblity mode. You might look at another thread dealing with a similar issue: 
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/0b446695-a5ba-4135-81d9-f0d9ddeb6203

If you have a pre-release version of Windows Consumer Preview under NDA, then you should address questions through the channel through which you recieved that build. 

Thanks,

Marilyn

• Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Friday, February 24, 2012 5:10 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 3:42 AM