Prevent screen blanking during call on HTC Fuze RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone have any ideas on ways to implement this? HTC says its this way by default and unchangeable. I use headsets and speakerphones, so there is no down side to keeping the screen on. There are various tweaks out there for the Dimond Touch, but they don't work for the Fuze.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:52 AM

Answers

• This has been one of the single most frustrating "features" of the device.  The registry tweaks are insufficient as they attempt to alter the Power Management behavior.  I have included a link (hope this is ok, advance apologies if not) for a custom application that addresses the issue. 

[APP]Touch InCall Screen Tweak - v1.0.20 with AppToDate Support
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=488991

The author of the thread goes into details about where the issue lies with HTC devices - in a nutshell, the G-Sensor and Light Sensor are not functioning cooperatively.  To quickly view multiple posts at once, select the Show Printable Version from Thread Tools.

HTH,
    • Marked as answer by RickHan Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:36 PM
    Monday, May 4, 2009 11:29 AM
  • This works so far. A 'must have' for those who use the computer side of the phone and hands free devices.
    I'd mark the previous post as 'Answer', but I keep getting an error.
    Last post by hilaireg is the real answer..thnx
    • Marked as answer by RickHan Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:15 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:15 PM

All replies

• I think you should ask this question in the HTC forums...
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 7:04 AM
  • No luck there.
    HTC says they do what AT&T wants, AT&T refers back to HTC.
    No programming help at all.
    Has anyone done any screen programming with WM 6.1?
    Is there any programming resources available?
    I've got Visual Studio 2008, but I use it for ASP.NET and Office automation; never did any Windows Mobile programming..
    Monday, May 4, 2009 12:46 AM
  • That question is a bit of topic here, but you can try to use Kaiser Tweak to change that behaviour (look in the XDA developers forums).  This will be under the  "Fast Sleep" setting.  If that doesn't work then your best bet is to speak to some one in the xda-developers forums. There's a lot of developers that examine how the HTC software and hardware and your chances of finding a solution to your problem will be better there.
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    Monday, May 4, 2009 2:14 AM
  • Thats where I just came from--tried everything there, nothing works on this Fuze...oh well, wish there was something better, I'd switch. Poor reception, poor Bluetooth, and no real customization supported. No external antenna jack (at least you could easily compensate on the older HTC model's poor reception by adding an antenna..)
    Touch screen works decently--really like that. It is the best model HTC has put out so far.
    But no one accessible by the public at HTC really knows how to use or program Windows Mobile. Spent hours on the phone. Finally got enough clues to get PPTP working and get a RD connection to my server. You have to manually turn off the proxy, and manually turn it on to get browsing to work, even though there appears to be a way to have the proxy turn off and on automatically, but it doesn't work. No one at HTC had a clue.
    Microsoft needs to own the OS completely for Mobile, third parties really suck at it.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 2:28 AM
  • You have to manually turn off the proxy, and manually turn it on to get browsing to work
    That's not really an HTC problem.  That's more of an AT&T problem. There's a lot of us that experience this problem with various phones on AT&T.  If you speak to AT&T about it you will generally be instructed to reset the phone, but there doesn't seem to be any one available that can provide an explanation for this problem.
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    Monday, May 4, 2009 2:38 AM
  • It's both. AT&T for not setting their proxy correctly and HTC for not configuring Windows correctly to automatically handle turning the proxy on/off --the capability is there.
    As far as signal sensitivity, all HTCs that I have had didn't have great signal sensitivity, 8125,8525, Fuze in marginal areas even though other AT&T phones have max reception in the same place. Probably size and density of there phones affect it.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 5:51 AM
  • This has been one of the single most frustrating "features" of the device.  The registry tweaks are insufficient as they attempt to alter the Power Management behavior.  I have included a link (hope this is ok, advance apologies if not) for a custom application that addresses the issue. 

[APP]Touch InCall Screen Tweak - v1.0.20 with AppToDate Support
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=488991

The author of the thread goes into details about where the issue lies with HTC devices - in a nutshell, the G-Sensor and Light Sensor are not functioning cooperatively.  To quickly view multiple posts at once, select the Show Printable Version from Thread Tools.

HTH,
    • Marked as answer by RickHan Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:36 PM
    Monday, May 4, 2009 11:29 AM
  • It's both. AT&T for not setting their proxy correctly and HTC for not configuring Windows correctly to automatically handle turning the proxy on/off --the capability is there.

Keep in mind the same behaviour is observable on non-HTC devices  and non-Windows Mobile devices on AT&T. That problem is specific to devices that use always on connections such as push/pop/i-map email, instant messengers, and so on.  I personally have observed it on the Samsung Blackjack, the Samsung Blackjack II, the LG Incite, AT&T Tilt/TyTn II, AT&T 8125/Wizard and the Siera Wireless 860 data card in my laptop.  I spoke with some other associates that have AT&T service and they've observed the problem on Black Berries.

There are a few threads in the AT&T support forums in which AT&T acknowledges this as a problem and suggest power cycling as the solution.

Joel Ivory Johnson
    Monday, May 4, 2009 1:03 PM
  • So far, this app seems to keep it from blanking--has customizable options--very nice...
    A 'Must have' for anyone using the HTC computer functions.

HTC seems to view the phone as the 99% most important part, and the computer aspect as a not very important 'extra'. Same with AT&T.
    Microsoft needs to take over the support for this OS, AT&T and HTC really don't have the expertise or the desire to handle the computer OS portions.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:43 PM
  • So the phone companies and all the OEM manufacturers are not setting up there systems and software correctly.
    All the more reason why the Microsoft should support Windows Mobile.
    No one at AT&T or HTC supports the computer side of the phones. They don't have a clue, sometimes half a clue.
    The phone is the important part, the computer is a not very important 'extra'.
    Only a fraction of Windows Mobile is used; it's capable of a lot more. What's there is crippled by miss-configuration and bugs.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:13 PM
  • This works so far. A 'must have' for those who use the computer side of the phone and hands free devices.
    • Marked as answer by RickHan Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:15 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:15 PM
    There are some known issues with versions of Phone Canvas provided by HTC and as a result, i've found that many of the XDA community developers have taken up the challenge to address the issues that HTC seem to be unwilling/unable to address.   My intention is not to "slag" HTC but to simply highlight the fact that they are a sales driven organization and as a result, support for existing devices and applications is very short-lived.

I'd suggest enabling the logging feature on the application and/or posting up the findings in the corresponding XDA thread.  The author has been very responsive and dedicated in addressing issues that arise.

Best,
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 12:27 AM