none
When will Microsoft release the binary specs for Access MDB files? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to be able to access these files on Unix / Linux and possibly mainframe based computer systems. Read access is all that is required. I need official Microsoft documentation or as an alternative routines written in C++ that can b used to compile on a Unix platform and access the MDB files. Installing Microsoft products or utilities is not an option unless they run on a Unix and Linux based system. The content of these files is most likely medical records but is not limited to that information. 3rd party reverse engineered information is not acceptable or suitable. Accuracy and completeness of information is critical.

Friday, May 22, 2009 8:06 PM

Answers

• Ah. I see we are at an impasse in the same way as the PST and OST files. The SQL is not as important as the MDB files. There are generations of databases in MDB format that are now archived. I won't repeat here all the text I wrote on the PST files but I have a similar need here. I suppose I don't have any other option but to add MDB to my escalation on the PST files.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:35 AM
  • Hi Kari Martinez,

Thanks for your question regarding Access MDB files.  Unfortunately, at this point in time, we have not published a binary file format specification for Access MDB files and we have no plans to do this.

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Monday, July 26, 2010 7:58 PM

All replies

• Hi ODO_ODO,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We will review your request and post the response as soon as we have it ready.

Thanks!

SEBASTIAN CANEVARI - MSFT Senior SEE Protocol Documentation Team
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:35 PM
  • Hello ODO_ODO,

Currently, we do not have any plans to document the Access MDB file format, or the SQL Server MDF file format.

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Ah. I see we are at an impasse in the same way as the PST and OST files. The SQL is not as important as the MDB files. There are generations of databases in MDB format that are now archived. I won't repeat here all the text I wrote on the PST files but I have a similar need here. I suppose I don't have any other option but to add MDB to my escalation on the PST files.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:35 AM
  • Hi Kari Martinez,

Thanks for your question regarding Access MDB files.  Unfortunately, at this point in time, we have not published a binary file format specification for Access MDB files and we have no plans to do this.

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Monday, July 26, 2010 7:58 PM