extended attributes are inconsistent

Question

• hi,

whenever I try and install a new software[.exe] an error message appears showing the extended/selected attributes are inconsistent

this problem didn't appeared when i just started using developers preview but since last few days it has become a big headache for me

guys please help...i need immediate help...your help will be appreciated

cheers

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Did you install anything or change any setting that this problem happened?

You could go to start and then control panel and then reset setting.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:29 AM
  • Try a system restore to before the issue started occurring.
    Go to Start page. Type in System Restore.
    Click on Settings on the right side.
    On the left side of the page, it has entries for the different options.
    Click on Restore system files and settings from a Restore point.
    Click Next.
    Click on the file for the Date and Time to before you had the issue with .exe files.
    The next page confirms the restore point.
    Click on Finish button.
    Your system will be restored to the time and date before you were experiencing the issue.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:14 PM
  • thanks for reply ya i keep on installing various things but didn't change any setting before this happened... i thought to reset it but their was a warning associated, it said that except the windows apps all ur other apps would be deleted, now the problem is if still after resetting settings the problem persists then i would not be able to access my already installed apps... what should i do know
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 5:17 PM
  • hey marilyn,

thanks for your early reply .i tried to do what you mentioned above but the system restore choose the system restore point automatically without giving me an option to choose my preferred date and time.. the system was restored to half an hour back w.r.t that time...so the entire procedure didn't worked out the desired way...

please help

saurabh

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 5:27 PM
  • System restore will not make you reinstall your programs. It is a system image that is taken at a point in time. It does not affect your documents, pictures or personal files.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-System-Restore

System Restore FAQs.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this helps.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 5:42 PM
  • What software program are you tring to install when you get the extended attributes are inconsistent error message?
    What was the last software you installed prior to the error?
    Marilyn
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Any software i try and install it shows this message, for eg. recuva, noow, connectify...and the latest being lightswitch[90 days free trial from microsoft].i tried it just 2 minutes back.

mam I don actually remember which was the last one I installed prior to this error.

saurabh

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:02 PM
  • You might look at the suggestions from the thread here talking about Windows 7.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/the-extended-attributes-are-inconsistent/129b7935-2da2-47b2-8b4d-e8b581e12b54

See if that helps, if not let us know.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:18 PM
  • I have the same problem. Even coz of this problem I reinstalled OS many times in a day :) By the way I realized one thing, After I start maintenance, That problem occurs. So When I installed windows, first I set up my all programs later I started maintenance. But Now I Can not install any other program, cos I'm taking the same error :)

Edit : Even I can not install the program you mentioned above... same error

• Edited by LaPella Friday, February 10, 2012 3:14 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 3:11 PM