none
Outlook 2013 VBA Script has stopped working since November RRS feed

  • Question

  • After an Office 2013 update sometime in November, a simple Outlook VBA macro that saved attachments to my hard disk of certain emails identified by rule criteria stopped working. Searching on the internet I found similar reports with the only way to get the macro working again is to downgrade to the Office version to pre-November.  I am loathe to do this and cannot find why a simple VBA scrip that worked for two years has suddenly stopped working. Here are some facts:

    1. The macro stopped working on two different computers at the same time.

    2. The simple parts of the rule work (identifying the particular email via criteria and moving the message to a particular folder).  It is just the VBA script that doesn't work.

    3. I've used selfcert to create a new digital signature several times but this has not worked.

    4. I've changed the macro security settings to "Notifications for all macros" and sometimes the Trust Publisher warning comes up and I trust the publisher (i.e. my seldcert created certificate) and it works for a while.  It also intermittently works for the setting "Enable all macros ..." but I don't want to leave my Outlook in an unprotected state.

    5. I've created a new certificate and manually imported it into the Trusted Root Cert Store and Trusted Publishers store but this has not helped.

    Any ideas?

    Monday, January 16, 2017 2:09 PM

Answers

  • I've now managed to fix this issue by reinstalling Office 2013. When I did this the option to run a script/macro via Rules was missing.  This can be fixed by changing a registry value as outlined in KB3191893.

    I suspect changes started to be made to this process back in November 2016 and that is why I had problems.

    I'm afraid I have to resort to this registry change instead of writing a VBA script as my programming skills are limited.

    I just wish Outlook had a rule to be able to save attachmewnts to a specific location.

    • Marked as answer by Roger 888 Friday, July 28, 2017 4:19 AM
    Friday, July 28, 2017 4:19 AM

All replies

  • Hello,

    Did you try to use a certificate from a trusted vendor instead? 

    You may find the Troubleshooting Outlook VBA article helpful. Also take a look at the similar forum thread - VBA Script not working in Rule .

    Well, frankly speaking I have already seen similar reports on the forum from Outlook users. Looks like a new issue was released with an update for Outlook.


    profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

    Monday, January 16, 2017 7:55 PM
  • Thanks for your email.

    I haven't tried to use a certificate from a trusted vendor instead, but I did go through the other two articles you suggested but nothing seem to help tweaking the macro securitey settings.

    I have also repaired my Office 2013 installation but to no avail.

    I agree with you this is some sort of problem introduced by MS in an Office update. I hope MS realise this and release a fix.

    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 1:14 AM
  • Hi,

    Since this is a product issue, I suggest you submit a feedback on uservoice site:

    https://outlook.uservoice.com/

    If it is urgent for you, I suggest you contact the Microsoft professional support.

    Please visit the link below to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.  

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

    If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug, the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged.

    Thanks for your understanding.

    Regards,

    Celeste


    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:26 AM
    Moderator
  • I've now managed to fix this issue by reinstalling Office 2013. When I did this the option to run a script/macro via Rules was missing.  This can be fixed by changing a registry value as outlined in KB3191893.

    I suspect changes started to be made to this process back in November 2016 and that is why I had problems.

    I'm afraid I have to resort to this registry change instead of writing a VBA script as my programming skills are limited.

    I just wish Outlook had a rule to be able to save attachmewnts to a specific location.

    • Marked as answer by Roger 888 Friday, July 28, 2017 4:19 AM
    Friday, July 28, 2017 4:19 AM