none
I am trying connect to a SQL instance for our CRM program and I am receiving To Connect to this Server you must use SQL Management Studio or SQL Server Management RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying connect to a SQL instance for our CRM program and I am receiving To Connect to this Server you must use SQL Management Studio or SQL Server Management 

This is a Brand new Server 2012 that is running our CRM product and it is trying to connect to a Server 2008 R2 server with SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 instance (10.50.4000)

I have seen this in the past where it needed the 2005 backwards compatibility components installed but those are not supported on 2012 server and this is not a 2005 SQL instance.

I am trying to install the Shared Management Objects for SQL Server 2008 but it tells me I need to install the CLR types, which I did install. But it continues to tell me to install the CLR types.

Has anyone ran into any issues like this? (this happens trying to connect to multiple SQL Servers from this new 2012 Server)

Thanks!

-Max

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:12 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Which version and edition of the SQL Server instance did you installed on the new server machine?  If you install SQL Server 2012 Express edition, you can try to install SQL Server Management Studio 2012 from this link.
    You can connect to SQL Server 2008 R2 or earily verions with SSMS 2012.

What's more, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Objects Collection requires Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0, Microsoft SQL Server Native Client, and Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types. You can try to download and install SQL Serve 2008 Feature Pack which contains packages above.

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:00 PM