none
Version identifier in Win CE image RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best way to best way to include a version control string in a Windows CE image. Is there a standard method to achive this - perhaps with an API to retrieve this value.

I will be running in kiosk mode, so I would hope that the application can get this information this from the OS.

Thanks,

Brian

Friday, November 5, 2010 8:05 AM

All replies

• Paolo,

This looks like good information, but it provides information on the OS itself (dwMajorVersion, dwMinorVersion, dwBuildNumber).

What I want control over it to define a version for each build of my OS Design. So if I change a driver or some other componenet, I can define a new version number. This means I can identify and track the OS that is being used.

I am sure most people want to control and identify their OS images that they build. Is there a standard way of doing this?

Thanks,

Brian

Friday, November 5, 2010 9:34 AM
  • I have done this, creating a registry key under :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\<MyCompany>\OSVersion

You can update this registry key every image build when modify something.

Paolo.

Friday, November 5, 2010 9:39 AM
  • You can add your own kernel IOCTL, or if your kiosk app is included in the image, you can build the version into the app.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Koster Friday, November 5, 2010 2:59 PM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

Do you have any pointers on how to create kernel IOCTLs?

Thanks,

Brian

Friday, November 5, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Here's a newsgroup thread on this topic:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsce.platbuilder/browse_thread/thread/3f844cbdb76f3e5c/12e117d36279a670?q=os+version+increment+group:microsoft.public.windowsce.*

Back in CE4.2, I created a little application that would increment a version string in a text file each time the application was executed.  I set up my OS to include this text file in the \Windows folder and created a catalog entry to add the build rule to run the incrementor on each build.  The result is a file containing something like:

The incrementor application leaves the first two pieces of the version the same and increments the third.  I chose to put the version string in copyrts.txt, a file used by Windows CE to show copyright information in the Control Panel. This provided a means for the user of the device to find the information without having to view a text file or something.

Obviously, there are a million ways to handle versions...

Paul T.

Friday, November 5, 2010 3:38 PM
  • That may depend on your BSP's implementation of OEMIoControl()
    Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Friday, November 5, 2010 5:18 PM