none
Meeting Request Recipients Change from Exchange Users to SMTP RRS feed

• Question

• In my Outlook plug-in I create a meeting request for the user, add Exchange Users (EU) as recipients and all expected EU info is available (my plug-in relies on this info).  On one customer system, if the creator re-opens the meeting request, these same recipients are now listed as "SMTP" rather than "EX" and only the SMTP address is available.  All attempts to resolve them as Exchange Users has failed.

Any Idea why this might happen and if there's a way to obtain a valid ExchangeUser instance with only an SMTP address as a starting point?

Friday, January 20, 2012 6:56 AM

Answers

• If the SMTP address matches one of the GAL SMTP addresses, it will be resolved to a GAL user. Otherwise you will get a one-off SMTP entry.

Can you ask your customer to look at the SMTP address and try to paste it into the To edit box of a new message? Would it get resolved to a GAL user?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.2 is now available!
    Monday, January 23, 2012 11:52 PM

All replies

• Maybe that user is also listed in contact list of that particular mailbox? Get that Recipient that has only smtp and check its  Recipient::AddressEntryUserType - what does it return?

You coould also try either Namespace::CreateRecipient or querying GAL using that smtp address (and check Recipient::AddressEntryUserType to verify that it is indeed comming from exchange).

Friday, January 20, 2012 10:07 AM
  • How do you add the recipients? What exactly do you pass to Recipients.Add?
    Friday, January 20, 2012 2:26 PM
  • I'm calling

recipient = appt.Recipients.Add(emailAddress);

on an RDOAppointmentItem and this has worked in all environments I've tested so far, except this one.  This is a large organization and they may have multiple exchange servers.  Not sure if this is a potential problem.

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Unfortunately, I did not log that value (just added the code), but I was checking against olExchangeUserAddressEntry and olExchangeRemoteUserAddressEntry and it was not either of these. 

I did try both CreateRecipient and querying the GAL and then checked addressEntry.Type == "EX" this was false. 

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:26 PM
  • If the SMTP address matches one of the GAL SMTP addresses, it will be resolved to a GAL user. Otherwise you will get a one-off SMTP entry.

Can you ask your customer to look at the SMTP address and try to paste it into the To edit box of a new message? Would it get resolved to a GAL user?

Monday, January 23, 2012 11:52 PM