Maintenance task error RRS feed

• Question

• I just started having an issue with my maintenance tasks. When I click on one of my tasks to modify it I get the following error. Also I am unable to create a new task unless I use the wizard. Does anyone have an idea on why I would be getting this error and how to resolve it?

I am recently new to SQL and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could not load file or assembly 'msddsp, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design)
    ------------------------------
    Program Location:
       at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.DtsComponentDiagram.CreateDdsView(Control parentControl)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Controls.DdsDiagramHostControl.set_ComponentDiagram(ComponentDiagram value)
       at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.DbMaintSequenceDesigner.get_DbMaintDiagramHost()
       at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.DbMaintSequenceDesigner.Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.IDbMaintSequenceDesigner.get_DiagramHost()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.DbMaintDiagramHostCtrl.get_SelectedSubPlanDesignerHost()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.DbMaintDiagramHostCtrl.SelectSubPlan()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.DbMaintDiagramHostCtrl.grid_SelectionChanged(Object sender, SelectionChangedEventArgs args)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.OnSelectionChanged(BlockOfCellsCollection selectedCells)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.SelectedCellsInternal(BlockOfCellsCollection col, Boolean bSet)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.set_SelectedCells(BlockOfCellsCollection value)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.DlgGridControl.SetSelectedCellInt(Int32 rowIndex, Int32 colIndex)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.DlgGridControl.SetSelectedCell(Int32 rowIndex, Int32 colIndex)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.DbMaintDiagramHostCtrl.PopulateGrid()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.DbMaintDiagramHostCtrl.Initialize(MaintenancePlanData planData)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.DbMaintView.LoadMaintenancePlan(String connectionString, IManagedConnection connection, String objectUrn)
       at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.VsIntegration.DtsDesignerService.OpenDesigner(String connectionString, Object connection, String objectUrn)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.MaintDesignerMenuHandler.Invoke()

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 9:54 PM

Answers

• The Msddsp.dll assembly reference the System.Runtime.InteropServices.CustomMarshalers Namespace. This file is included with Visual Studio. This file belongs to product Assembly imported from type library 'MSDDS'. This problem usually related uninstalling one version of VS while you need other version (the uninstall delete the file).

1. Open the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSDesigners8
    2. Check that the file is there. Sometimes there is need to replace it if it is damaged.

* as much as i understand you don't need to re-install anything but just replace the file or ad it if it is missing. but the missing file might suggest that more files are missing and re-installing might fix it all. I would probably try to replace it and only if i get more errors on different files i will go to the re-installing solution.

[Personal Site] [Blog] [Facebook]signature

• Edited by pituachMVP Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:55 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:50 AM
  • One more thing could this have been caused by moving the TempDB and the Log files to new separate LUNS?

Not directly

I recommend to start with looking if the file is there as i post above. this is a 2 sec check. Next try to replace it with a good file (keep the old one for any case). just then if it is not fix move to procman, which is great idea for the monitoring (but it will be longer then just open the folder and look). I recommend not to use the the solution of re-installing as mention in Saeid's link! This should be the last solution in my opinion (it is always a solution to re-install the whole computer from the operating system to the SQL Server and each application :-) but this is not my first choice). 

* Of course, every action you wish to perform is at your own risk and you must keep backups before you make any changes, especially if you work directly on a live server

• Edited by pituachMVP Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:22 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:56 PM

All replies

• The Msddsp.dll assembly reference the System.Runtime.InteropServices.CustomMarshalers Namespace. This file is included with Visual Studio. This file belongs to product Assembly imported from type library 'MSDDS'. This problem usually related uninstalling one version of VS while you need other version (the uninstall delete the file).

1. Open the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSDesigners8
    2. Check that the file is there. Sometimes there is need to replace it if it is damaged.

* as much as i understand you don't need to re-install anything but just replace the file or ad it if it is missing. but the missing file might suggest that more files are missing and re-installing might fix it all. I would probably try to replace it and only if i get more errors on different files i will go to the re-installing solution.

• Edited by pituachMVP Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:55 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:50 AM
  • Hello,

These types of issues  can well be solved by using Procmon .I have solved issues related to SSMS using procmon you can also try.Agree with Pituach some sites might tell you to reinstall SSMS that can work but you can also solve this issue by seeing process creating problem using Procmon

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:23 AM
  • Thanks everyone. I will start with using procman and see what is happening and also check for the dll mentioned by Mr Saeid.

Thanks everyone !

I will post results of what I find.

One more thing could this have been caused by moving the TempDB and the Log files to new separate LUNS?

thank you

Marc

• Edited by MLarouche1 Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:07 PM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:06 PM
  • One more thing could this have been caused by moving the TempDB and the Log files to new separate LUNS?

Not directly

I recommend to start with looking if the file is there as i post above. this is a 2 sec check. Next try to replace it with a good file (keep the old one for any case). just then if it is not fix move to procman, which is great idea for the monitoring (but it will be longer then just open the folder and look). I recommend not to use the the solution of re-installing as mention in Saeid's link! This should be the last solution in my opinion (it is always a solution to re-install the whole computer from the operating system to the SQL Server and each application :-) but this is not my first choice). 

* Of course, every action you wish to perform is at your own risk and you must keep backups before you make any changes, especially if you work directly on a live server

• Edited by pituachMVP Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:22 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:56 PM