IXAudio2::CreateMasteringVoice fails returning E_PROP_ID_UNSUPPORTED

Question

• Hello,

We have a machine where XAudio2-Initialization always fails. IXAudio2::CreateMasteringVoice fails returning 0x80070490 (E_PROP_ID_UNSUPPORTED)

Audio in General is working on that system.  I isolatet the minimal code that shows the error. (see below) Even a small test-app with that code shows same behaviour. So side effects seem improbable.

I don't know what is wrong or what to do to make XAudio2 working on that machine. This is the only case where we observed this behaviour. All other tested systems worked well with XAudio2.

Could anybody give a hint?

Thank you very much!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IXAudio2* pAudioEngine = nullptr; 

HRESULT hr = ::XAudio2Create(&pAudioEngine);
     if(hr == S_OK)
     {
      IXAudio2MasteringVoice* pMasteringVoice = nullptr;
      hr = pAudioEngine->CreateMasteringVoice(&pMasteringVoice);
      if(hr == S_OK)
      {
       // Success
      }
      else
      {

// my app always ends up here with hr = 0x80070490 this is E_PROP_ID_UNSUPPORTED
      }
      pAudioEngine->Release();
     }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's almost the same that is described here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee415779(v=vs.85).aspx

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 10:27 AM

All replies

• To confirm, what operating system are you using? What VS and Windows SDK version?

With Windows 7 x64 using the legacy DirectX SDK and with Windows 8 x64 using the Windows 8.0 SDK, I'm able to get success in both cases. I assume you have called CoInitialize, CoInitializeEx, or you are in a Windows Store app with an WinRT startup before this code, correct? Otherwise you would get an HRESULT of 800401F0.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 8:54 PM