Windows Developer Preview installation?

Question

• If i install Win dev prev on my existing win7 do i loose my win 7 and personnel files?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:04 PM

Answers

• When installing, you will be given an option to backup your old files in the 'Windows.old' folder. 
    However, this will only save your files.  You will not be able to open programs which you had installed on Windows 7. 

In order to be able to boot between Windows 7 and Windows 8, you would be required to have created 2 partitions.  One partition, say drive C:, would be for Windows 7; drive D: then could be used for Windows 8. 

• Marked as answer by Mondo75 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:19 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:09 PM

All replies

• When installing, you will be given an option to backup your old files in the 'Windows.old' folder. 
    However, this will only save your files.  You will not be able to open programs which you had installed on Windows 7. 

In order to be able to boot between Windows 7 and Windows 8, you would be required to have created 2 partitions.  One partition, say drive C:, would be for Windows 7; drive D: then could be used for Windows 8. 

• Marked as answer by Mondo75 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:19 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:09 PM
  • It is hardly recommended to not install Windows 8 as your only operation system. The preview is far from complete and miss many features you might miss. Try to check other threads in this forum to get more insight on other options - installing into a virtual machine, installing and booting from an VHD or installing to a separate partition. In most cases, it is a good to have a Windows 7 installation disc on hand in case you will have difficulties.
    • Edited by MCCZ Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:22 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:22 PM