"Run as Administrator" questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have two problems:

1) I have some (self-written) programs that must be run as Administrator (because they read data from a Unix hard-disk partition).
    I want the program to be started in Administrator mode without the Vista-typical question "are you really sure?".
    I only want to disable this question for certain applications, not in general.
    Is there such a possibility in Vista?

2) Some programs - mainly "regedit" - ask for Administrator mode in Vista. In XP I could use them without administrative rights. (I'ts enough e.g. for accessing HKEY_CURRENT_USER).
    Is there a possibility to run "regedit" (and other programs) explicitly without administrator rights?

Thanks.

Martin

Saturday, February 2, 2008 8:21 PM

All replies

• Give the links below a try - decide for yourself if you're willing to try it.

Windows Secrets Newsletter Article about UAC or http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070308/

Basically you're disabling (by auto-advancing) UAC for Administrators without disabling it for other accounts.

Not sure if it will help with Q2 but I think it will.

Be sure you use anti-virus, anti-spyware & anti-malware software to protect yourself since you won't be getting those dialog boxes from UAC.

Overall, there just isn't a way to do what you want on a program by program basis - it's either all or none.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 5:48 PM
  • You might look into writing a driver or a service, or looking into a way to modifying the ACL preventing a standard user from reading the partition. (Not sure if or how it's possible to do the latter).

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 1:30 AM
  • Hi!

1) I have some (self-written) programs that must be run as Administrator (because they read data from a Unix hard-disk partition).
    I want the program to be started in Administrator mode without the Vista-typical question "are you really sure?".
    I only want to disable this question for certain applications, not in general.
    Is there such a possibility in Vista?

1): You can not disable UAC for a cenrtain application, I am sorry. 
         The programmer's at Microsoft did not build "black-and-white" lists for UAC.
         However, for one application to execute in elevated mode, you'll need to
         modify the app.manifest file, like this: 

Normal: To run the app as standard user.
    <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false" />

Changed to allow your app to elevate: To run the app as SYSTEM or NTAUTHORITY user.
    <requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false" />

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<asmv1:assembly manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv2="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" name="MyApplication.app" />

<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">

<security>

<requestedPrivileges xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false" />

</requestedPrivileges>

<applicationRequestMinimum>

<PermissionSet class="System.Security.PermissionSet" version="1" Unrestricted="true" ID="Custom" SameSite="site" />

<defaultAssemblyRequest permissionSetReference="Custom" />

</applicationRequestMinimum>

</security>

</trustInfo>

</asmv1:assembly>  

2) Some programs - mainly "regedit" - ask for Administrator mode in Vista. In XP I could use them without administrative rights. (I'ts enough e.g. for accessing HKEY_CURRENT_USER).
    Is there a possibility to run "regedit" (and other programs) explicitly without administrator rights?

2): Yes, regedit.exe asks for administrator permission and requests to run under administrator elevation mode. 
         Yes, it's possible to run them, however, they still might ask for administrator previledges. 

I hope this helps...

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik  
    Coder24.com
    • Proposed as answer by Fisnik Hasani Saturday, October 10, 2009 8:02 AM
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Hello Martin:

Is this issue solved? How is the situation on your side?
    Please provide some information, thanks!

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com
    Friday, October 9, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Hello Martin:

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com
    Friday, November 13, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Hello Martin:

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:18 AM
  • Hi again:

How is the situation on your side?
    Is this thread solved?

Please tell me!

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik