RDP session error: because of a protocol error (0x112f) the remote session will be disconnected...

Question

• Hello, dear all,

I found that the RDP ActiveX control seems to be a black box. It uses well but sometimes there would be some strange errors.

Today I encountered another error: I connect to a remote Win8 Pro machine through the RDP ActiveX control on another Win8 Pro, when I played a HD video for about a few seconds, the RDP session will be disconnected. The reason is as what the title said: because of a protocol error (0x112f) the remote session will be disconnected... I've made some search but got no correct solution. It seems that the issue might lie in the resolution, but I am not sure.

The following thread made a long discussion: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/4523ce86-9a0b-4e6c-90d1-225ddda67ce5/. But it has no good to my issue.

Other articles suggested to set the RDP attribute bitmapcachepersistenable to false, but it also doesn't help.

Does any one know how to resolve it?

Friday, April 26, 2013 12:26 PM

Answers

• After debugging the issue on both Surface RT and Surface Pro, I found that RT works well, while Pro always hits this issue. The RDP window resolution on Pro is always set as 1371*771, while on RT it is 1366*768. After manually change the height and width of the RDP window, the issue couldn't be reproduced on Pro, so I believe it is an issue of resolution. Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by B0L Friday, May 03, 2013 4:23 AM
    Friday, May 03, 2013 4:23 AM

All replies

• You might want to check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2699817.  This was fixed in a hotfix released about a year ago, but maybe it didn't make it into Windows 8.  You might try setting RDP Encryption to high and/or enabling RDP compression.  Let us know what you find out.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, April 26, 2013 7:10 PM
  • Hi, Matt,

Thank  you very much for your reply.

1. I've tried that this patch is invalid for a Win8 system.

2. Since I am using a RDP ActiveX control, is there an attribute/field that I could set? Or I should config it on the remote desktop?

The most strange thing for me is that I found that the when I play the HD with Windows media player, it works well. But if the HD video is played with Win8 Video app, the issue occurred. Is there any suggestion?

Thank you very much.

Saturday, April 27, 2013 2:04 AM
  • Yes, the patch will not work for Windows 8.  Did you do this: "You might try setting RDP Encryption to high and/or enabling RDP compression"?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, April 29, 2013 1:42 PM
  • That also didn't work!
    Friday, May 03, 2013 12:44 AM
  • After debugging the issue on both Surface RT and Surface Pro, I found that RT works well, while Pro always hits this issue. The RDP window resolution on Pro is always set as 1371*771, while on RT it is 1366*768. After manually change the height and width of the RDP window, the issue couldn't be reproduced on Pro, so I believe it is an issue of resolution. Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by B0L Friday, May 03, 2013 4:23 AM
  • I will initiate another thread about how to change the RDP window height and width on Surface Pro.