Browser video stream in internet explorer - Windows phone 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create a webpage that can stream a LIVE video broadcast. And I want it to work with Internet explorer in windows phone 8.1.

Is this possible?

I was thinking about using jwplayer but I don't think it works with Windows Phone

any ideas?

• Edited by TheBingi Friday, March 13, 2015 2:34 PM
    Friday, March 13, 2015 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Are you writing an app using the WebView or just creating a web page to be displayed in IE on the phone?

The WebView hosts IE so this answer should work for you either way but... The WebView supports the HTML 5 "video" tag. The platform supports a limited number of streaming formats natively including Microsoft's propriety implementation of RTSP and RTSP over HTTP. If the video source is being streamed in either of these formats you can simply point the "video" tag at the server and you should be good to go.

If you want to support a different streaming protocol such as HLS or DASH you will need to create or find a 3rd party Media Source Extensions plug in for the "video" tag that supports the protocol that you are using on the server. If you are severing Microsoft's Smooth Streaming content you may be able to use the Smooth Streaming Client SDK for Windows Phone 8.1 although I'm not sure if the HTML5 support is available outside of a native HTML5 app.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

• Proposed as answer by Jamles Hez Monday, March 16, 2015 5:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by TheBingi Wednesday, March 18, 2015 9:17 AM
    Friday, March 13, 2015 9:25 PM