Having trouble upgrading 2005 VSIP to 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a VS Package that was originally developed for VS 2005.

I migrated to 2008 a couple years ago, and I'm now trying to do the same for VS 2010.

I have cleared up most of my issues from browing other posts and blogs.

The one post that helped alot was this one: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsxprerelease/thread/0fa24c1b-5fa5-41b3-8e19-4187fc2d4859?prof=required

So I followed all the steps mentioned in all the linked posts and help documents, but I still have one problem:

None of my toolbar or menu commands appear in the IDE when I Debug. (I can hit breakpoints in the Initialize() function when the pkg is loaded though)

Because I developed this with VS2005, I am using a .ctc file to define all my menu and toolbar commands instead of the more recent xml format introduced in VS2008.

So it seems the issue is that my ctc file is not being built/linked into my VS Pkg DLL.

Are there any special settings or attributes I need to add to my project to get this working?

Or do I need to create the xml version of the ctc? (I would really like to avoid this, so I can single source my commands for all versions)

Thanks,

Jason

Friday, July 9, 2010 8:13 AM

Answers

All replies

• In my project we use a vsct but this advice should still be helpfull. on the file node for our vsct file we have BuildAction set to "VSCTCompile" Its not something that's normally in the drop down you have to kind of look around for it in the VSSDK targets file and set it by editing your project file directly. I think you want "CTCCompile" or something of that nature.
    Friday, July 9, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Thank you for the response.

I actually already had CTCCompile in my project and it still wasn't compiling it.

So I looked around more and discovered ctc is no longer supported in VS 2010.

Or at least thats what this post says: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsxprerelease/thread/be94c9e5-217a-4b5d-8526-078be2ff37e9

It's unfortunate, but I am thinking I might just include a prebuild step in the project that calls the conversion perl script VS 2008/2010 SDK provides to convert ctc to vsct.

This way I can still edit my ctc file without having to manage more than one file.

I ran the script manually and was able to generate a vsct then manually tweaked the project so it uses the VSCTCompile build action as you have mentioned.

I finally got my toolbar and menu commands to appear!

Now I have different problems:

Apparently the VCProject and VCProjectEngine DLLs aren't the same between 2005 and 2010.

I am guessing it has something to do with the fact that vcproj files are now vcxproj files with an accompanying vcxproj.filters file.

But when I try to get a reference to a VCProject object, I get an exception.

Any clues or hints on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Friday, July 9, 2010 8:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by nosage Saturday, July 10, 2010 9:30 PM
    Friday, July 9, 2010 11:48 PM
  • This is very unfortunate.

It sounds like I will need to manage two separate baselines for my VS package:

1. VS2005/2008 baseline

2. VS2010 baseline

It would be nice if I could still single source my package.

Monday, July 12, 2010 8:53 PM